PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
Posting pictures still seems to be an issue for many of our members. Here’s a bullet proof solution. Short, sweet, and easy.
Postimage
https://postimages.org/
It’s free with no sign up. Go to the main page. Select: choose image.

Scroll down to : hot link for forums. Copy, then paste in reply box on the forum.

Use this thread to give it a try. Easy peasy.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm a fan.
Upsides

free

unlimited storage (or a lot!)
Downsides

Sometimes large size photos hang up (my new Android phone takes 12 MB photos, I use that for close-up nomenclature shots, and sometimes they hang)

Deleting pictures can only be done one at a time (or delete the entire folder).
it works for me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One change I'd suggest is to leave out the hotlinks and get the URL from the photo itself. The reason: the latter method works across all images on all hosting sites and eBay. (except photo-fuckit.) It's ultimately simpler to have consistency across sites, and some won't know whether to paste it in the URL box, the IMG box, or just in the body of the post.
[Select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL into the IMG box.]

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
danielplainview.jpg

Works for avatars and other thumbnails.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
^ True. I try to use the forum album with my phone. Otherwise, I have dedicated an album on Facebook to my pipes and link those photos here.
I am glad that .org is working now, but who knows what will happen in a year or two and all those photos will disappear from our threads again.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hotlinks are great. Just not for those getting their first photos up.
I disagree. Getting newbies to understand how to right click and copy the correct URL string can be challenging. With the hot link, you copy and paste, the steps are minimized. Less steps, less chance of error, at least that's my experience.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@wyfbane - that is true, the Postimage platform won't last forever. They all go to a paid platform when success is reached. Facebook photos seem to be forever, like it or not.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OK, I see more of the pitfalls. But, Michael, I would have guessed most of us do use computers to visit the forum. But I was wrong once before, on July 14, 1982......

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, I was aware of your situation, Duane. But now I am really curious to know how many exclusively use a phone or tablet..... ?

Unless I am going to use some software that isn't available as an APP, I can't imagine a reason to have one. I can even keep my quickbooks, CC merchant services, and all of my banking can be done from a phone. So, I can't think of a software that I would need. Pretty soon, computers will go the way of the landline and fax machine.

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
I haven't fired up the home computer in well over a year. I'm either on the work computer (rarely), or phone/tablet. I recently realized that I'm probably never going to set up my desktop again (still boxed from the move last year).
It is very important for me to be able to use a phone easily to post pictures.
Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.