PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I would like to see more short videos of the all the pipes, cabinets, restorations, cellars, ect. I think I am the only one that posts self made vids on the forum. (I'm sure there are a few on here) My favorite topics/threads are always pic heavy. And hopefully soon, video heavy. Your thoughts fellas?

Jul 15, 2011
I uploaded a pic of my pipe collection on youtube some years ago, but it was much more meager than it is now. I haven't updated it since acquiring some of my nicer pipes. I'd show off my cellar but it's so disorganized it would bring me to shame. Maybe after I've gotten all my collection organized I'll take a video of it all, but I agree in that some more videos would be nice.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Personally, I prefer pictures for the close-up shots of nomenclature, etc. Most videos cant capture that detail. A good video is always appreciated (I remember the quality of your video being quite good). Poorly shot, lighted and mic'd camera phone video typically doesn't hold my attention.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
The number of good quality YouTube videos which actually discuss pipes the way I personally appreciate is quite low. This is because 90% of these videos are long-range shots of dudes smoking, yammering on about something or other that is completely uninteresting, and personally I don't enjoy sitting around watching videos of dudes smoking to begin with. Extra points docked for people who like to post videos of themselves opening up packages. Major yawnfest

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I agree, poorly shot vids of people smoking their pipe is all to common. I have made about 50 short vids and 0% show me smoking or opening a box. I see some beautiful pipe pics on the forum, but one pic from one angle is a tease. My ideas of a great video is the 30-60 second clip of the white gloved showcasing of a pipe. Short, sweet, and no rambling.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
My ideas of a great video is the 30-60 second clip of the white gloved showcasing of a pipe.
That's all well and good if one has the proper type of lighting (lighting is everything). Other than that, if its just a visual of a pipe or perhaps of ones cellar I'd much rather see a well taken picture rather than a video. Videos have there place, but YouTube is the ultimate example of when videos can be quite ridiculous and unnecessary. As others have pointed out: seeing a video of someone opening a package/tin, or smoking a pipe to give a review on tobacco and slowly blowing out volumes of smoke is absurd and... BORRRRING.

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
I do like watching some of the pipe carver interviews, like that interview with Vollmer & Nilsson was excellent that came out a few years back.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Example of the perfect pipe video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6uc716EUc4&list=PL14FojJvMZXiB9pDGHrM_RoRxYKEVSPIl&feature=player_detailpage

Mar 30, 2014
wv
@ adam12. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NcMHzpWCEnI&list=PL14FojJvMZXiB9pDGHrM_RoRxYKEVSPIl

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, Al Pascia nails it, SmokingPipe.com videos a close 2nd. (that white washed out background is a little distracting)

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rad-davis/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=150020#videojump

Status
Not open for further replies.