PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
For those who can't get enough of the carb system pipes...
Doing the weekly maintenance on the pipes. Nice time to show a few features in better detail...
The pipes:
imag1269.jpg

three of the Briarcraft "Wimbledon". This is the pipe that was listed as a Comoy's on Ebay. Didn't pay Comoy's price for it. It is (I assume) a circa 1950's pipe. Really nice shape, a bit of normal wear and somebody chewed the stem a bit, but I can live with it. Smokes well, so that is the best feature it has.
imag1266.jpg

imag1267.jpg

imag1268.jpg

Next two are the Duncan Hill Aerosphere, and the funky stem. Those familiar with Carey Magic Inch pipes will see some similarities. You can also see the carb fitting poking through the stem.
imag1270.jpg

imag1271.jpg

And, a last couple of the Kaywoodie Carb fittings...
imag1272.jpg

imag1274.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Jay,it's kinda hard to say for certain but your Smokemaster looks to have an ABS plastic stem which would date it to the 1980's to early 90's. Looks like a standard Grabow pot shape. There's some good info on Smokemasters here--

http://drgrabows.myfreeforum.org/about810.html&highlight=briarcraft.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Does the Kaywoodie carb get clogged being in the bottom of the bowl? I think I would prefer it to be in the stem.
How large are the holes? Toothpic? Needle?

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
The briarcraft/smokemaster pipes are good smokers,a cousin to the grabow family i enjoy all of mine with the pipecleaner filter system.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I have never had the Kaywoodie clog. The holes are about needle sized. Too small to pass a toothpick.
James...
The pipe, according to what research i have been able to accomplish, is a Briarcraft. The Smokemaster pipes, which were Briarcraft built, were "system" pipes that utilized a pipe cleaner as a filter, and had a stem to accommodate them. This pipe has a standard style stem. Here is a blown up picture from the link you provided which I also read when I was trying to figure this thing out....
smokemaster.jpg

this pipe does not have the tube, or a place for one.
Also, the pipe is not stamped "Smokemaster", which (at least according to this picture) would be normal. Nor is it stamped with any other maker markings, or other (such as the L.L Bean)
http://www.otcpipes.com/briarcraft.html
the above pics also show the filter tube for Smokemaster pipes.
now, this shows the correct Diamond logo for the Wimbledon line, also produced by Briarcraft:
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-w2.html#wimbledonbriarcraft.
And this is the diamond style on this pipe. The white diamond.
Now, as Grabow bought the Smokemaster system rights in mid 1967, and this is not a Smokemaster pipe, but an actual Briarcraft "second", and Briarcraft went out of business in 1950 or so, I can only assume that this pipe falls in that general realm of Briarcraft produced pipes from many moons ago.
Of course, I could be full of crap and this pipe rolled off the factory line sometime last month.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
More, maybe better, pics of the pipe in question...
this, although the flash obscures it a bit, is the Wimbledon stamp, with "490" stamped below it. The stamping is quite good and very legible.
imag1275.jpg

This would be the "Imported Briar" stamp, also quite good and legible.
imag1278.jpg

And finally, the stem and bowl, which are pretty standard stuff. No tubes, filters or system type fittings.
imag1279t.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
No, I don't think you are full of it! I was thinking it was a later production pipe because of that stem-it looks to be plastic,not vulcanite and the finish. The Grabow made ABS plastic tapered fishtail stems are shaped differently than their vulcanite stems. I can usually spot a plastic stem in a picture,especially if I there is a good shot of the button and the slot.

Now,99.9% of the Grabow ABS push stems will have a metal tenon-but not all! Some Starfires,Red Eldorados(this pipe could easily pass as a Red Eldorado-finish is-from what I can see- IDENTICAL !) and others sometimes has a plastic tenon.

The other thing that made me think it might be Grabow made was the shape-classic Grabow pot! But then again Grabow,especially when HLT owned the company-"borrowed" a lot of shapes and names(Van Roy is one) from the companies they absorbed.But the stampings on your pipe says it is not Grabow made,unless they swiped that name also!

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
However, we do know it is not a Comoy's.
It was "sold" as a Comoy's "Wimbledon", which does exist as a model. But none of the markings or nomenclature match anything Comoy's that I could find, and I did look extensively to be sure. And it definitely does not match anything to a Comoy's Wimbledon pipe.
I contacted the seller about it, and he was apologetic and offered a refund. But I didn't "buy a Comoy's", so i wasn't worried about it, as long as the pipe was in reasonable shape for the price.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
I am hoping the pipe to be "old". Late 1940's or whatever. It is not "for sale", in terms of me trying to resell it as a collectors item or whatever. But, one of the things I really enjoy about pipe smoking is the history of it, and I am especially fond of the era of pipe smoking that encompasses WWII through the early 1960's. If this pipe is from that era, it makes it special to me for that reason. To me, and my imagination, pipes smoking, and especially the advertising of that time, embodies the calm masculinity of Post World War Two Americana. The Greatest Generation. I like being in touch with that, even if vicariously.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Since it appears to be a Briarcraft pipe it's gotta be an oldie. It's surprising that it is in such nice condition,you don't see many that old,that nice. I've tried several times to reproduce that color,haven't succeeded yet.With the Grabows this color and An old Kaywoodie I had the red is in the lacquer,it's tinted.Scrape it off with a fingernail and it's brown underneath.Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.