PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
I've been trying to look more at the pipe itself when out or on eBay instead of just the name. Now I'm not saying brands don't matter, I believe they do and in fact it's those good names I have been checking out their seconds. I started noticing that there are a lot of older seconds from London made (usually) that IMO look great, amazing grain and blast (yes and it's a second so sometimes a small fill or two) and good looking classic shapes. So I was wondering what are some solid English seconds to be looking for. Here are a few I picked up. A House of Lords (Sasieni Second I believe) with nice ring blast and a Regent Straight Grain which I have no Idea about.
img_0988-600x483.jpg

img_0989-600x449.jpg

img_0990-493x600.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The blast looks particularly handsome. I've had several English seconds or little-known brands, and they have been better than expected.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
You'd be surprised at the gems you can find ignoring the name sometimes. I love the deals on gorgeous pipes. I have a pipe simply labelled COOP and Made in England that has fantastic birdseye. $10 well spent. Your blast one looks great.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Any shape numbers? They're always a good place to start on figuring out the makers.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice score. That blast...
Sometimes it’s fun to search “old wood pipe” on eBay and speed scroll through only looking at shapes instead of names.

Status
Not open for further replies.