PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
It doesnt seem to often I'll find anything at all on Kijiji in Ottawa.
Today i did.

The Calabash pipe was the reason I jumped on this one, but there's a few gems in here. A few I'm going to need help in identifying.
First things first. How do I clean this Calabash?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Is that calabash a Pioneer? To clean, wipe the bowl with a paper towel as that's all it should need. Do not use alcohol. I've always been afraid of cleaning the gourd so I hope someone here has some good advice on that.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I put grain alcohol in the gourd AFTER removing the meerschaum cup and taking great care not to let any of it touch the cork. You must not damage the cork that creates the seal around the cup. I used a small bristle brush to lightly scrub the inside of the gourd. When you're done (who knows how well you can really do it, you can't see in there), pour out the alcohol through the ferrule end (where the stem would go) and let it dry for a day. As for the meerschaum cup, I used a lightly damp paper towel to wipe it out, don't use anything metal to poke out build up in the draft hole. Use a lighter to burn off anything goopy in the draft hole (from the bottom) and then use a pipe cleaner to lightly work whatever doesn't burn off.
I have a Pioneer gourd calabash as well. Very sweet score, Warren, they are a great smoker.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I have no idea what Kind it is.....how do I tell?
I also found 2 John Calich Pipes in this lot.....
I seriously scored this time.....

rwramsey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2014
Cmdr that's a nice haul. Take some before and after photos please.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
For sure, I read a bunch about cleaning a calabash before I did mine and it all turned out just fine.
Warren, since there is no stamping (Pioneers were unmarked) and they look just alike in construction (did a lot of comparisons over the Googleator), I just assume that is what it is. I would say it is a very safe bet.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Another one that i cant find anything for is the Rossi Portobello 174, top row 2nd from left....the sitter.

It looks like it has some decent age, and I know Rossi is Savinelli really.

As well the top left has no markings, but is feather light, I think its a Meer..... its cold to the touch

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the forward-canted sitter a lot, in terms of shape design. It has a lot more energy than most sitters.

Can't tell about the grain and stem, but it could be a handsome pipe restored. (The one lower right.)

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Ok... i figured out what that stem extension is for... the TV pipe in this lot....

Pic from ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.