Picked this up at an estate sale today...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
No, not a pipe unfortunately (I wish) - but a nice cuckoo clock from West Germany (I haven't seen something made in West Germany for some time.)
Best of all, it's in near mint condition and works like a champ, cuckoo, chimes and all. I checked some sites and these can retail for $100-150 - picked this up for a cool 10 bucks. 8)
cuckoo-342x600.jpg

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
Nice.Love them old cuckoos, takes me way back when my grandma had an 8 day, and would let me carefully re-set the weights. Good price too.

shawn

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
That is really cool. When I was a kid my folks had a cuckoo clock. Not sure if it was from Germany.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Those are great. The only I ever remember seeing growing up was in my great grandparent's house. They were from Germany. Unlike our resident apiarist, I was NOT allowed to touch it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is lovely. My dad had a very old clock that I found in his basement recently. Unfortunately, he took it apart and over the years lost some parts. My brother has it and will try to have it repaired.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks guys - I have always liked cuckoo clocks but they were always too expensive. It's great hearing it every hour - but I sometimes think it's telling me something (cuckoo - cuckoo) :crazy:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
That brings back fond childhood memories here, too. My grandmother had one that my uncle brought her from Germany; he was stationed there in the 1970s for 6 years, I think. Seems like it was very similar to the one you got, six. Good bargain hunting and good taste IMHO too.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
When I woke up this morning, I didn't think I'd be wanting to buy a cuckoo clock. Just wasn't on the agenda, you know?
But that thing is sweet!! Envy engaged.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Great find, and wow what a price. Now make sure to get yourself a fine German stein and fill her to the brim with some Beck's, a good pipe and tobac and you're back in the Old Country. :clap:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
@mattia76 lol!
@docwatson you know they had those too - but passed them up. In fact, almost didn't buy the clock - it was marked so low I thought it must not work.
Anyway - really enjoying the clock - and I appreciate the notes from everyone here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.