PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
What's the logic of saying this? We like pictures, especially pictures of pipes. Shouldn't it be "Pictures!" so we would know to open the thread first? And what is it with "heavy?" Can digitization have weight, but if so, weighed by what instrument? I suppose the makers of hard disks, RAM and chips could say how much weight the analogues of the pixels in these memories weigh, that would hold the image, but only transiently so as the image is summoned, displayed and released. And when erased, can such transience be accorded any weight? Ultimately the image resides as code which has no more weight than the image it projects.
So, not really.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
You remind of those scenes in Back to the Future:
Is there a problem with Earth's gravitational pull in the future? Why is everything so heavy?
Intrestingly, I think it just has to do with letting people know there will be lots of pictures. I do this too, as there are people out there who, believe it or not, don't necessarily want to see a lot of pictures... Crazy, I know.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The reason is simple, if you don't overthink it. Not everyone has high speed internet, so the page takes forever to load. This gives folks the option of skippong a page rather than stumbling onto a page that takes forever to load.

orthodoxpiper

Lurker
Jan 11, 2019
I agree with ashdigger. It harkens back to before high speed internet was readily available. Most people here probably don't have any issues loading up a pic heavy post anymore, but there are probably a few out there with slower connections that appreciate the warning.
All in all, this forum still operates in a lot of ways like forums did 10-15 years ago, pic heavy warnings and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.