PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
You know which ones. That jong fly fisherman without sunglasses is definitely not smoking a pipe. Nor is that suave chap with the hot brunette on his arm.

May 31, 2012
Well damn, now that you mention it I do see 'em!

LOL
But I was hoping for some funny parody or something here,

like this,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/new-dunhill-tobacco-collaboration-wthe-rolling-stones
Or something along these lines:

hagandhag_small_smaller_images.jpg

bumnmabel.jpg

I don't have any photoshop skillz, but if I did I would try to make some parodies,

a lot of victims await,

We Sexy

Rampage

BDSM Flake
...add a dominatrix with a whip instead of the regular dude and voila!
I like the way they did up this Small Faces cd boxset...

small-faces-ogdens-nut-gone-flake-cd-triplo-14342-MLB3817440426_022013-F.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgLrvJf7ksA

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
You know which ones. That jong fly fisherman without sunglasses is definitely not smoking a pipe. Nor is that suave chap with the hot brunette on his arm.
Link to these, anyone? ...or are you talking about the stereotypical use of pipe?
Meanwhile, here's a pipe tobacco that is most definitely photoshopped.
zyLWtLO.jpg

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Man, now that you point it out those are pretty horrible. Wouldn't they be better off to take original photos? :crazy:

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I tell potential clients that their customers can spot stock photos from a block away. It's just exceptionally bad business practice to use stock art. It insults your customer's intelligence, it tells them that you don't care about your product, and it tells them that you are too cheap to hire a photographer (who will make your product look great, BTW). Then, of course, there's the problem when the stock art that you used starts showing up in other ads.
Here's the Sutliff ad. The ad itself looks great. Beautiful typography, very classy:
SUT-5031-Molto-Digital-Ad-300x250.jpg

Here's the stock art that they started with:
stock-photo-portrait-of-young-couple-in-love-posing-at-studio-dressed-in-classic-clothes-163387340.jpg

And, oh my! Other people have used the same photo...but...no pipe!
sg-photologue-photos-Dewberry-Teaser.jpg

loveandredemptionBN-200x300.jpg

Now, I actually find the ads to be amusing. But I'm not your typical Sutliff customer, either. In fact, I've only ever bought one tin of Sutliff, "Great Outdoors", which I like a lot.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
next you are going to tell me that @numbersix avatar is photoshopped too....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
woodsroad is a fabulous photographer from a sample of his work I've seen. Sutliff and others would do well

to hire him to do their advertising photos. It would pay off. It is intriguing the way photoshop has revised the

way we see photos, once the essence of true documentation, though even pre-photoshop, images were widely

and significantly manipulated. I know I presume photoshop where it hasn't been used. A recent ad shows a

guy perched on an impossibly narrow ledge on the side of a rock face. I just assumed they'd clicked him there

at no risk to his person. It turns out, he's a climber who often scales shear faces with no safety lines; it's what

he does. But images are presumed doctored until they can be explained as authentic, and skepticism still prevails.

There's a whole school of fine art photography (gallery work, however you name it) that is composites of photoshop

images. One artist did a whole series on crazy decadent prep school students in which he posed as all of the students

in various wigs and clothes, even to the class picture. I don't see photo images the same anymore, and likely few do.

Status
Not open for further replies.