PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So you get on the phone, and you are mid-bowl on your pipe. Unlike conversing, people can't see

you puffing and making eye contact. Do you let the pipe go out? Explain the pauses in your

conversation by saying you are smoking your pipe, or just puff and talk and don't explain?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
For me getting on the phone is a choice to begin with. I usually check caller ID and then decide if I want to interrupt my smoke to talk with the caller. We don't get that many calls every day, so it's not a big issue. If I do answer, I usually put down the pipe and relight later when done, because if I answered, it means I actually care to talk to whoever called.

I don't know what Ms Manners would think of this, but then, I probably wouldn't care anyway. Yeah, I know I'm a cranky old guy... :nana:

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
15 years ago, I worked a year and a half working an 1-800 tech support line; to this day, I never answer a ringing phone unless the call was scheduled, as in a pre-arranged meeting (I often work virtual - as in from home).
YMMV

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Judith Martin (Ms. Manners) would probably have a sharp, pithy response to this question, but so far as I know,

she never smoked a pipe, so wouldn't have a pipe smoker's answer. Having said that, she may join Forums

and have strict opinions about Oriental blends and how many pipes to smoke at one time.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Speaker on when talking with a pipe. The other party may hear my lighter here and there. I rarely talk on the phone these days even though I'm in the old guy catagory, I prefer to text short, to the point conversations.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I'm with agnostic - a ring on the phone or a knock on the door is a request, not an order. I would have no more of a problem talking on the phone and smoking, as I would answering the door with a pipe in my mouth.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Don't know much about why its a problem to smoke and converse at the same time. I do know this though, if you answer the phone while having sex the woman gets upset and who ever is on the line gets weird.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
When I'm on the phone with someone I know I puff away and they have come to learn that the pause is me puffing on my pipe. Before that I would let them know I'm smoking so they would know to expect some dead air every once in a while. If it's a call that is somewhat professional then I just let it go out. If you were to say " I'm puffing on my pipe sorry " who knows what would run through their head.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
A long time ago in another country I was told by my boss to take the pipe out of my mouth whilst talking on the phone. A short time later he called the house when I was in the middle of an unmentionable with the girlfriend at the time and I picked the phone butt naked and he asked me 'If had anything on?' to which I replied 'No. Not at all.' this was followed by the well come on out for drinks. Totally ruined the girlfriends night!

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Call me twisted or sick even, but I like to answer the phone at a time that makes the caller uncomfortable.
Be glad you can't see me while I post on this forum.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I speak pretty grumbled English to begin with so I just keep puffing and talking. Only one to every call me on it is my wife..... She always knows and tells me to knock it off. Lol

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'd keep puffing, while they're talking is the opportune time to draw. Obviously it doesn't make much sense to stop mid sentence and take draw and then continue on with your thought.
We have a term for this in the Navy: Nuking it. Which means to overthink something to the point of being unable to move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.