PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I have a bent billiard that I like. It seems to be the only pipe I have that I can't smoke without a gurgle. No matter how slow I go
Has anyone tried Philtpads and have an opinion?
Also wondering if I drop a few Eriksen Pipe KeyStones in the bottom and toss them with the dottle how that might work?
Thanks in advance

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I haven't tried either product because they appear to be a big PITA to use on a regular basis -- let alone away from home. They also reduce the pipe's tobacco capacity.

Many new pipe smokers get the idea that the moisture is saliva; but that is almost certainly wrong. Moisture is the inevitable by-product of combustion, so try the following:
  • - use pipes without stingers, severe bends or curves, which can seed condensation

- dry your tobacco more before packing, being cognizant of the relative humidity of the air

- pack your pipe more loosely

- do not ever light your pipe too aggressively

- and, as you mentioned, smoke more slowly.

Often, I absentmindedly fail to heed my own advice, so I keep a pipe cleaner handy. :lol:

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I used to use the Philopads at the bottom of my meers to assist in colouring. Didn't really notice a change in the smoke itself as now I use brass "buttons" and have the same overall effect. I have a pack of the Nording Keystones but haven't tried them out yet.

Jun 27, 2016
Philtpads = chalk

Eriksen Keystones = Expanded clay

Deni-cool = Silica

Meershcaum chips = meershaum
My problem was that my meer-lined pipe draught hole was drilled a little higher than I am used to and that was causing a couple issues, so I tried some stuff to "raise the floor" of the bowl, so to speak.

I've tried the Deni-cool, and to me, it strips any sweet flavors right out of the smoke. If you put flame to the Deni-cool at the bottom of a finished bowl, you'll taste the sweetness that was missing during the smoke.

I've tried the meer chips and still use them, and they do not affect the flavors to me, moreso the character of the smoke changes from a damper character to a drier character. If you smoke something too damp to begin with, the chips won't keep up and you'll still get some condensation/gurgle.

I have not tried the clay keystones or the chalk philtpads, but would also like to know what people thought about them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The height of the draft hole is not causing wetness or gurgle unless it's very high.
Most gurgling and excessive relights are traceable to tobacco going in with too much moisture, and many tobaccos are shipped on the moist side.

Jun 27, 2016
jpmcwjr

The height of the draft hole is not causing wetness or gurgle unless it's very high.
Never said that it did. I never specified the issues that it was causing for me. =P

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
I love the bent billiards. My Savinelli's with filters never gurgle, smoke dry with all tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.