PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcobber

Lurker
Feb 24, 2019
Sherbrooke Quebec Canada
Hi folks!
Just receive a 50g tin of frog morton on the bayou! I bought it for 50$ free shipping on ebay.
I can say that I never smoked perique before and im curious about it.
Read a lot of review on the frog and I am tempted to give it a try!
But seeing how the price went up I might think about holding it for 5-10 years maybe it will reach a million dollars!!!
So here the philosophical part: To smoke it or to not smoke it?
I would like to hear your thoughts !
Have a good one!

...hit by a bus, or something happens to crack down on the resale of tobaccos, which is already iffy in the legal area. Or, your tin rusts, or jar leaks, or any number of devastation could happen.

Smoke it now. Besides, with as short-termed as society's memory is, I wouldn't bank on very many people remembering what McClellands was, 5 years from now.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I think you should smoke it to experience a small piece of pipe tobacco history! In the near future not many people will be able to say they got to smoke the Frog Morton series as those blends have joined the ever-growing list of discontinued tobaccos.
I love perique but was never much of a latakia fan. That said, Frog Morton on the Bayou was one of a favorite of mine that I was incredibly sad to see go. It seemed to be a love-it-or-hate-it blend though, so do with it as you will. But as Cosmic said, the future is unpredictable, you should enjoy it now.

Btw is mason jar air thight enough to keep tobacco humid for a years?

Yes... I think that some will say that it will only last five year, but that is based on food storage suggestions by the company. They aren't talking about tobacco, which is not subject to food poison. I would be willing to bank on twenty or more years of air tightness, as long as devastating amounts of rust don't occur on the lid in that time.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A mason jar will keep your tobacco good for years.
Forget about the bus. Watch out for the meteorite. And even if you manage to dodge that one, the sun will eventually go supernova, expand and vaporize earth anyway, so why wait.
On the other hand I know a few McClellandheads who are waiting 5 to 10 years to sell their hoards for a predicted $300 to $500 a tin.
On the other hand, pipe smoking could well die out in 5 to 10 years as the majority of pipe smoking citizenry croak out, especially McClellandheaded geezers.
Personally I would absolutely, maybe, who knows...

mmcobber

Lurker
Feb 24, 2019
Sherbrooke Quebec Canada
Yes meteorite are a real danger! Flood too here in this part of Canada! So I will get my nicest cob , pack that bowl and light her up!

Thank all for your thoughts !

Keep the amber burning !

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm more concerned about zombies than meteorites, though that's a waking concern. Meteorites can penetrate the thickest of roofs! Zombies are everywhere.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Since you have never smoked it before, you don't have a reference by which to judge the aged tin;

so do what jpmcwpr suggested in his earlier post.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I'm going to be profiteering on tobacco blends, it's going to sneak up on me. I buy blends to smoke, and that's the only reason. If I found myself with a long-aged tin of one of the infinitely desirable blends, and checked on the going price and it was way high, and for some reason I didn't have an immediate and strong desire to smoke that blend, I might cash in. But it would be a fluke, not a business plan.

Also, to be realistic, The Froggies were not infinitely desirable blends. I don't remember it ever being out of stock. Many didn't like the "ketchup' smell. It only appealed to a section of latakia smokers, and to a non-aromatic guy it smells just as bad as Captain Black, in that waxy room note. In fact, McClellands as a whole was mostly made fun on on their forums for its ketchupy smell.

It wasn't until everyone found out they were going tits up, that all of a sudden McClelland bashers became newly baptized fans.
Like the cult-ish Peterson fans though, if someone liked the froggy blend, THEY REALLY LIKED THEM.

Mar 25, 2019
I would smoke a pipe or two and put it in the smallest mason jar I can find. 50g you're probably looking a an 8oz. It's ok to pack it in there. You can make a nice lid label from the original label. Use the top rim of a 12 ounce can to trace the circle you want, it's the prefect size for a standard mouth mason jar. Then cut it out and attach it with rubber cement. Coat both sides let it dry for 5 seconds and stick it on. Rub off the excess when it dries and if you ever want to peal it off, all you gotta do is heat it up a little. FM was always one of my favorites, savor it my friend.

But, keep in mind that selling a jar of unobtainium is not going to bring you a premium price. In fact, I NEVER buy something that someone else has put in a jar. It requires trust in their truthfulness and their skills at jarring and saving tobaccos. Did they store it in a basement or the trunk of a car, and do I believe them?

I am always shocked when I hear that someone bought a jar of something, unless it was at or below B&M rates. I just don't suggest it.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There's no rush to smoke it...you've got a full decade left.
NASA Prepares For "God Of Chaos" Asteroid To Arrive
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-05-03/nasa-prepares-god-chaos-asteroid-arrive

Status
Not open for further replies.