PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
It's that time of the month again. This meeting will probably see the Richmond attendees working out car pooling plans. The remodeled Pen & Pencil Club will have its usual hot meals cooked to order, drinks served by Courtney, and tobacco and conversation supplied by the members.
hp

les

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Are there free options? $11 to park is a ransom when you lost your job.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I was making $40k a year for 2 weeks, so depressing! They didn't have the patience to train me but didn't want to pay enough for someone with experience.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo Eric - Andrew (DECigar) is in Wilmington and he comes to Morley's. Maybe you can car pool down with him.
Also, Philly, being a friendly, brotherly sorta city, has the following freebie deal on Wednesday nights: "On Wednesday evenings, meter parking is free in Center City after 5 p.m. (on the rush hour streets, it’s free after 6:30 p.m.). The boundaries are from the Delaware River to the Schuylkill River and from Bainbridge Street to Spring Garden Street." - per http://www.visitphilly.com/parkingdeals/
But this deal is popular, so you need to get to a likely spot when the clock ticks in. Latimer has a few metered spots, which I think kick in at 5:00. You can always go to Holt's and lounge there till 6:30, when the Pen & Pencil doors open. Or you can lurk at 6:29 for one of the rush hour spots on Walnut, Chestnut or the numbered streets.
BTW, $11 for the evening at the 2 garages on either side of the club is very good - the major garages downtown charge almost twice that.
hp

les
PS - bummer about the job. When you come, you will get a can of free tobacco and a zillion samples from members.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I'm not a city kind of guy if you know what I mean, I think I'm allergic to them. Baltimore has pretty much made me hate any place with a parking garage, I'm sure it isn't that bad though. I'm almost totally done sampling for now, but you guys always seem to get me excited again to try out some new blend. It would be nice to meet a piper down here, starting to think they don't exist, or they are all in hiding.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
What blends ya got? I am 100% confirmed this time, no cancellations :) I also just got my feather blades today so, if I come without a face, you will know why :) Everyone says they are the sharpest.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Eric - lol - a shorter list would be what I don't have, at least in Lats and VAs. I'm not so much into burleys and aromatics but I'm working very hard on thinning the 1000+ blends on hand to the Top200 Cellar. What blends are you thinking of getting but would prefer sampling first? Also, are there blenders or tobacco leaf types that you want to try?
hp

les

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
sam - I actually prefer golden VAs to the Stonehavens and FVFs. Now you didn't like Reiner's No.71 Long Golden Flake, which is pretty middle of the road for that genre to me. I could bring a range, say DH Flake, Butera Golden Flake, Former's Cross Grain Flake, Wessex Gold Slices, Old Gowrie and Marlin Flake, Esoterica Cardiff and Peacehaven, F&T Vintage and CVP, Peretti Boston Slices and MacBaren VA and Navy Flakes. I have some Gold Brick, but we would need a very sharp knife - really dense plug.
WIndian at 5:15 sounds good.
hp

les

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Enjoy the club meeting gents, we seem to be on a pretty close schedule with you guys, our next meeting is on the 26th. I'm envious of you being able to smoke at a restaurant/bar, unfortunately not an option in Ontario. We're lucky to have an indoor space though so I can't complain too much. Have a great gathering!

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I have been wanting to join you guys for a little while now. Anything I should know before I "just show up"?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I think we need to add Philly to the list of places the Smokestacks need to visit.
Imagine the cross-cultural dialogue and learning (bs'ng and story telling) we could get up to...
Have a good time gang!
-- Pat

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I am a huge fan of straight VA's or low in perique content that have very little bite (I'm very sensitive) and medium or less nicotine content that comes in flake form or anything else that isn't ribbon.
I have tried FVF, MVF, OGS, Anni Kake, PS Bullseye Flake, Stonehaven, and have BBF drying. Anything not in that list, I have not tried. The only one that does not bite me is the FVF, one reason I love it so much. I'm hoping the BBF won't either. Flavor-wise, out of all of those, I would have to say it's OGS, but that one bites me the most.
@ Sam, I actually got no nicks after using Prorazo Pre-Shave Cream, it made my skin so soft before the shave, it was amazing. I used it afterwards like an after shave, and it sure beat my other one, almost immediately all the red spots went away and my skin was more clear that it has ever been before. I find you gotta let it soak in for a couple minutes while you prepare your shaving soap lather or something. That was with Astra blades, they are rated to be very sharp and fairly aggressive (almost like feathers). I think I should do fine, my biggest problem is I find it very hard to not accidentally add extra weight to the blade during the shave, I'm very heavy handed and a little uncoordinated. I now shave every other day with the razor and every other day with the electric, that seems to do the trick for me, as my hair is even less than my normal 5:00 shadow the next morning, I really love it! I'll go safety razor every day probably when I get more used to it.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
pruss - re
I think we need to add Philly to the list of places the Smokestacks need to visit.
Come on down! Actually, we usually have members from other clubs at our meetings. The NYC gang are regulars, as are folks from MD. We have had a piper from MN come a few times. And the Slo-Smoke event a few years ago got folks from Japan and Europe to come participate.
hp

les

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Thanks guys, it was great, if anyone has not gone and it is within 2 hours of where you live, please go, it will be worth it (1.5 here). The Food is amazing and the beer is impressive, even to a brewer, the prices are fairly low cept for the parking, which is crazy in more than one way.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I had a great time as well. It was nice to meet everyone, hope to see you all next month

Status
Not open for further replies.