PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For a while, one Forums member regularly sold Canadian made Trypis pipes on Forums. These are made by Canadian Phillip Trypis, who I think originally migrated to Canada from Greece where he had, at one time, actually harvested briar. These appeared to be well made pipes at notably reasonable prices, and for a while they were offered regularly on Forums. I'm not in the market, but I remember them well. I think Phillip Trypis had a health problem or injury that kept him from marketing his pipes as widely, but resumed making them. I haven't heard much about him in recent years. Any updates on Phillip Trypis and his pipe making? I often think of these among the better known Canadian made pipes, like Brigham.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
olkofri, right. Are any pipe brands other than Blatter & Blatter (and maybe Trypis) still made in Canada? I think U.S. is down to Dr. Grabow, MM cobs, Briarworks, and Franks. Anyone else? For some reason, the Italians, French, Irish and British seem to be surviving ... some German, Austrian, Greek, a few others. Any word on Phillip Trypis would be of interest.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Mso, he may have passed away on February 26, 2018. I am seeing an obituary for Phillip Trypis for Scarborough, Ontario. Not definitive though. I have a number of his pipes. Here are 4 of them. Very distinctive, rustic style IMO.
dsc_3808-600x398.jpg

dsc_3820-600x398.jpg

dsc_3819-600x398.jpg

dsc_3800-600x398.jpg

Reactions: Casual

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
In addition to Blatter & Blatter, I believe Julius Vesz is still very active making pipes, according to his website. I googled him and see that his shop is still at the Royal York Hotel in Toronto. There are also a number of other pipe makers in Canada who's work is highly prized.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
MSO, as noted above, only artisans. Factory pipes are all made in Europe now. Brighams are made in Italy (the three lower tiers) and France (anything above 4-dot).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
mau1, yes sir, I recognized the style immediately in the photos. I think the Forums member must have sold thirty or more over a year to two, but I can't remember who that was. Not still active I don't think. I'm sorry to hear it if that was Phillip Trypis who passed on earlier in 2018. He is, or was, quite a carver.

Reactions: J.Henry845

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I don't have any current info on Phillip Trypis. On Vesz, last I heard the hotel he leased space in was doing renos and had more or less kicked him out, and he was working from home. Not totally sure what his situation is.
Other than that, west to east, Steven Downie carves full time out in Vancouver, I carve about 50 pipes a year in Alberta, north of me up in Edmonton Cody Perkins and Ian Barnes both carve, as does Trevor Thistle. I think Even Wiseman is in Manitoba, and out further east there's Parks as mentioned and Gio Placentile if he's still at it.
But I don't think there's any "factory" type pipe operation here really - they may still make the POY type pipes for Brigham here rather than Italy, but for sure the bulk of their production is outsourced.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
If I remember right, was it not pruss who sold the Trypis pipes? Think he moved to New Zealand maybe???...

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
A while back, I picked up 10 or so Trypis pipes in a lot. Big, chunky pipes, but man, were they smoked hard! I just couldn't pass on them, though. You don't see that many of his pipes in one go. The volcano pictured above was a recent find. The cool thing is, I also have a Brigham volcano pipe which is a cousin to the Trypis pipe. Possibly from the time when Phillip Trypis managed the production for Brigham. The Brigham is stamped 5X1, not listed in the Brigham shape chart found on DadsPipes. A nice little mystery or convergence.

Status
Not open for further replies.