PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
What will this mean for pipe smokers?

Are they going to make pipes that work like these IQOS things, that just heats the tobacco up?

I wonder what this will do for the taste of the tobacco?

Maybe it will make it taste better. I have always heard keep your heat low and just roast the tobacco for more taste.
Phasing out cigarettes

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Interesting.
I'm not sure if it would affect artisan tobacco, per se... you know, if quality tobacco survives another generation, or increasing FDA regulations.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
This doesn't look like a glass pipe to me. If anything it looks more like the e-cigarette.
_92719361_philipmorris-600x337.jpg

No, I meant as far as pipes... it works along the same lines as those glass vaperizor pipes that crack and meth heads use. They put the stuff in a bulb, and the fire never touches the stuff to be vaporized. Yet, it heats it up slowly to have it give off a steamy smoke vapor. That thing you posted dopes the exact same thing, only without having to use a lighter to heat it up.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Ok sorry Cosmic, I had no idea that's how those glass pipes worked. I don't really have any experience with them, I guess I always thought that they applied flame to the "stuff" through the top of the bowl. Thanks for the info and I do agree with what you're saying.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
They might have an alternate plan for the USA if the Nazi Anti Smokers get any worse, but I've read where their money comes from 3rd world Country's , lots of money.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Andre Calantzopoulos, PMI's chief executive, says he would like to work with governments towards the "phase-out" of conventional cigarettes
Just like they worked with the government/FDA to phase out pipe tobacco manufacturers.
Thus leaving Philip Morris selling their "healthy" Iqos smoking device to the masses. Philip Morris doesn't care about anyone's health; just the health of their bottom line.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
There I was striving toward just heating the tobacco in my pipe and thereby avoiding tounge bite and hot bowels.

Whatever next, electric motorbikes?

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
No more Marlboros? Oh, boo hoo. :lol:
This smacks of public relations bullshit they'll string along for years.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I thought the turbo e-bikes would have a webbed seat through which cool air was blown, thus avoiding hot bowels.... No? Oh, well.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Jpm you got the deliberate spelling mistake /swipe at irony and then used it yourself, chapeau!
Cosmic I have seen those mechanical doping machines. I was having a go at the Zero TT :)

.....wanders off muttering about the smell of two strokes....

p4ttythep3rf3ct

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2015
A better comparison would be to that of existing dry-Herb vaporizers. Meth crystals melt, and the glass pipe is referred to an an oiler or oil inhaler, or even eucalyptus inhaler. Point is, that shit melts and evaporates. the oiler works by giving it a reservoir to melt, and then a place to spin the liquid to that is of higher temperature (since the sides will get hotter where there is no melted meth). Pretty much nothing is left after a bowl of meth, unless it's just dirty. A herbal vaporizer heats the leaf up just enough so that the oils release and evaporate without causing combustion. In the end, you are left with spent-leaf which is discarded. With marijuana, this gives you a better THC to CBD ratio in your smoke (more high than stoned). I guess for tobacco it just releases the nicotine? I dunno...seems like a good way to lose a lot of soul from the tobacco leaf and of all the compounds, is nictine on the low melting point side of things?

Status
Not open for further replies.