PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I've gotten a little interested in the PH arena again and ordered some simple litmus paper. Since PH of each individual varies, their experience with the acidity of the tobacco blend smoked will vary as well. This effects the nature of tongue bite which the new pipe smoker might utilize. It was a bit over my head at the time I started smoking a pipe and quite possibly something I may never really spend too much time on. Maybe help from others would allow me to compile the PH information of a particular tobacco they are smoking.
I suppose some neutral water would be needed and then soak some specific amount of the tobacco in it for a specified period of time. Do the litmus check and record the info would be a way to accomplish this. Each batch of tobacco might change somewhat.
I guess to check personal PH of the individual it would be as simple as touching the litmus paper to ones tongue and reading the info. I suspect reading too soon after a meal would alter this so a time frame between meals or right before the smoke would be in order. All this seems such overkill as I type, LOL. However I would be quite interested in the findings of Tobacco PH vs Personal PH.
From you chemist out there, is the above a proper way to conduct the test?

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I did this years ago. There is an ASTM Standard for doing this. The standard called out something like so many grams of tobacco into so many cc's of distilled water. The problem is: This is a waste of time and will reveal no meaningful data. It's not the pH of the tobacco you want. It's the pH of the tobacco smoke!. As tobacco burns, the sugars in them lower the pH. All tobacco will be different. The pH of burning tobacco is different than unburned tobacco. Additionally, I don't think pH papers would be accurate enough. The pH scale is logarithmic. I used a pH meter.
Now... if you could get your hands on one of those smoking machines....

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I think this is a good idea, mostly for the testing of individuals. People with high sensitivity will know what to stay away from (tobaccos widely reported to have more "bite").

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
http://www.scalesonline.com/ohaus-starter-st10-pen-type-ph-meter?gclid=CLjlx_6rtcgCFQQDaQoda44Eyw
Starter PH meter is about $40.
If we were to bubble the smoke through water, would it alter the PH or could it be measured from the resulting solution?

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
If you get a digital pH meter you would also need to get some calibration solutions, one low pH and one high pH.

Even then just measuring the tobacco will tell you nothing.
I think what might yield some meaningful data would be to measure your mouth's pH before smoking and then again after smoking. You might be able to detect a change in pH that might allow you to correlate certain tobaccos with tongue bite.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I think what might yield some meaningful data would be to measure your mouth's pH before smoking and then again after smoking. You might be able to detect a change in pH that might allow you to correlate certain tobaccos with tongue bite.
It might also be interesting to measure ph afer finishing a kind bowl and measuring ph after smoking a bowl of Virginia or other blend that causes tongue bite for the smoker.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jitterbugdude is Our Man In The Lab on this! Measuring the pH of smoke is not a simple task and will involve a good bit of work with process and controls. I'd love to see someone set this up. I know for a fact that the big tobacco companies used to do this as a matter of course, because they adjusted for pH. Maybe there is something about it in the Legacy library?

Status
Not open for further replies.