Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Pfeifentabak English Scottish Blend

(9 posts)
  1. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I need some help on a tobacco. I was in Munich, Germany in December and visited Pfeifen-Huber. Great store! Picked up a rare Castello opera pipe and also some tobaccos.

Here is where I need help. The Pfeifentabak English Scottish blend is WONDERFUL. It is blended by Kohlhase & Kopp. I have already smoked through the entire 100gr tin over the cold winter and it will now forever remind me of my trip to Munich. I want more, but Pfeifen-Huber doesn't ship to the states.

I have read all the posts here and elsewhere about what constitutes a "Scottish Blend". Varying responses. I'm more confused now.

1. Anyone tried this Pfeifentabak blend and know of an alternative I can get in the U.S.? Kohlhase & Kopp makes this blend. It's not reviewed on Tobaccoreviews.com (a few other Pfeifentabak blends are reviewed though).

2. What does "Scottish Blend" mean to you?

3. I here good things about McConnell Scottish Cake (and apparently it's very different from McConnell Scottish Flake?)?

P.S. The Pfeifen Huber - Virginia Golden Flake is AMAZING!

Neal
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In follow up, Kohlhase & Kopp also makes Rattray's blends, and I hear (not here, like misspelled above) great things about Rattray's Red Rapparee Scottish blend. Could these be similar? I hope so. I just ordered a tin of rapparee and will let you all know.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Red Rapparee is a lat blend with some sweetness to it. It might qualify as a scottish. Scottish Cake is a va/per with kentucky, that gives it a bold, smoky finish. It is not what I think of as a scottish, based on what I've read on this forum. Both are very good.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The short answer is, no one knows, as once discussed before. I would recommend that you buy every blend labelled as Scottish that you can get your hands on and have a blast trying them and finding a similar tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently smoked through a tin of Scottish Blend from the Mac Baren mixture series and I found it to be rather bland and weak. A definite no repurchase here.

Dot
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@crashthegrey, thanks for putting the link up. I have that thread copied in my notes already, and it is a very good reference indeed. In fact, that is why I asked the question again above. I'm always interest in people's response to this Scottish blend question. As a scientist at heart, it always bugs me that this is one genre of tobacco that has no accepted definition, and the term is used loosely in blends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is used too loosely. It's a shame. Things do not need to be completely definite, but at least a good understanding of possible components is nice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. pipefish

pipefish

Login to Send PM

Pfeifen-Huber is a great shop! Highly recommended for anyone visiting Munich.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got a 100Gr tin of Rattray's Red Rapparee to compare with the Pfeifen-Huber English (Scottish). I had a wee bit left thankfully. They are nearly identical, yipee. Slightly more oriental zing on the Red Rap, but it is fresh. Otherwise same blend. I am very pleased to finally try Red Rap after hearing many good things. I bought more!

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   paulie66scandinavian, madox07, tkcolo, cigrmaster, acidpox, alaskanpiper, anthonyrosenthal74, greeneyes, jiminks, glassjapan, tbradsim1, spartacus, mrenglish, danimalia