PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
I picked up a pouch of Wild Atlantic at the local B&M yesterday, so this review is based on 10 or so bowls and a palate the some would call unrefined.
WA is an English blend, VA/Oriental/Latakia and comes served as a ribbon cut in a pouch rather than a tin which actually is a nice change of pace. Pouch note is smokey Latakia and sharp, spicy oriental. I don't get too much from the Virginia really. Certainly none of the usual, hay, grass, lawn clipping, whatever you want to call it, scent that you usually get.
The blend is a ribbon cut and so packs and lights easily. My pouch was just slightly on the moist side; not wet, but it might benefit from a few minutes of air time before packing. Still, it is smokeable as is.
The taste seems to me pretty consistent throughout the bowl (I've been smoking this in a Peterson 999 that I mostly use for English blends). The orientals with their spice are dominant I'd say. The Latakia is there for sure, but this is no Lat bomb. The description refers to "generous amounts of Latakia", but Peterson's idea of generous compared to mine must differ some. In any case, if you like your Lat in modest doses, Wild Atlantic should suit. I don't pick up too much from the Virginias in the flavor, and this is often a problem for me. There's a sweetness which I imagine comes from the Virginia, so it's there if you look for it.
All in all I'd say this is a good candidate for an all day English. The nicotine hit is on the mild side and the flavor isn't so strong as to be overwhelming. I don't know if presentation should count in a review, but I like the pouch because it's easier for me to pack around, so an extra half point for that. 3.5 out of 4.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Thanks for the review. This is the only one of the new blends I am interested in trying. With the orientals as the main taste component I might need to try it soon.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
+1 fmgee.
I plan to have a pouch in time for the box. I think it may be a bit on the light side for me, but we'll find out. Not that light is bad, but I have quite enough light English blends and am starting to gravitate towards fuller smokes with more nic.

Status
Not open for further replies.