Peterson's Saint Patrick Day 2019 Pipes

(53 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by anthonyrosenthal74
  • Latest reply from ashdigger
  1. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I made it a tradition to get a St. Patrick Day Pete every year, with the exception of last years line... I just couldn't get over the yellow stem with the green stain and army mount. Those three attributes did not (in my opinion) go well together at all.

I may (perhaps) renew my yearly tradition this Feburary with the 2019 line up.

This year, Peterson has decided to bring in the system pipes. As much as I love Peterson pipes, I've yet to purchase a system pipe. Also, they are including the option of fishtail stems and P-lip stems. I also have yet to own a Plip. So for those of you, like myself, who enjoy Petes but somehow never purchased one or both of these options in a pipe that made Peterson famous, now's a good chance to finally do so.

Also... once again they are green. As they have been for three out of the last four years... now four out of the last five. I must say that is my number one gripe out of this years group. It was cool the first time, and still pretty cool the second time. But now it's lost a bit of its appeal. A couple green pipes in the collection is nice, and fun. But I don't want this many. Not to mention, I'm still tempted to purchase last years pipe just to have it in the collection even though I practically hated them. That being said, they certainly look better this year, returning to a black stem instead of that gods awful yellow stem on green pipe combination.

So. I'm a bit up in the air on this years. I'd like to continue my yearly tradition of St. Patty's Day pipes. I'm a bit thrown off by the once again green. But, I dig that they chose the system pipes with either Plip or fishtail, which I own neither of.

Not a bad looking pipe, though.

And here's the complete line up.... https://www.smokingpipes.com/St.Pat_Peterson-Pipes-2019.cfm

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Its a gorgeous green and they'll get my green.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't have any of the St. Patrick's Day collection, so if I decide to pick one up this year, it'll be my first. I really didn't mind the yellow stems on last year's too much, but they kinda, sorta make you look like a Green Bay Packers fan.

This year's rendition certainly looks nice, though. Wonder what the price range is? Been wanting to hold on to some of my PAD money in the hopes that Peterson comes out with some more hinged lid pipes. I really want one of those in my rotation. Or just to smoke when it's windy.

I don't have but one Peterson so far, a Christmas 2018 that I love and is in a fishtail, so I don't have a plip either. Not sure if I'll like it or not, but you never know until you try it.

I love the silver spigot on it though. Looks sharp for sure this year.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two Peterson St. Patrick's pipes; a 2017 150 Bulldog variation and an estate 2001 XL21. Love them both, but they are the only Peterson pipes I own.

Dave "Black Frigate Stowaway"
    Posted 5 months ago #
  5. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never been attracted to a green stained pipe myself. Otherwise I may have been interested.

Posted 5 months ago #
  6. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not a fan of the green bowls. I like colored stems, not colored bowls. There is a Peterson St. Patrick's pipe that caught my eye that I like but I don't remember the year. I believe the bowl is black with a green rim...maybe 2013? 2014?

Posted 5 months ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two green stain pipes I like, but neither of them are my Petersons. My St. Patrick's Day Pete is an Around the World series bulldog with a band with the Irish cross and bright reddish stain, a really good smoker.

Posted 5 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

chadinstl

Login to Send PM

Well I bought a 2018 a little late in the year, so I didn't get to choose from all of the shapes. This year I am going to get one early on so I can pick from them all. I really like last years it stands out for sure. This years does look, I would say a bit classier maybe. I will go with the P lip also. Pipe smoking is making it hard for me to save my money. : )

Posted 5 months ago #
  9. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I believe the bowl is black with a green rim...maybe 2013? 2014?

That was the 2014. Black blast with a green rim... then they went green crazy!

Posted 5 months ago #
  10. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony, IMHO, a set is a set, tradition is tradition, and precedence is precedence. If you have started a collection then stick to it. Get the 2019 pipe. Pieces with a story are always better than one offs. Just my 2 cents.

Neal
    Posted 5 months ago #
  11. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like I kinda stated above....I can't wait!!!

Posted 5 months ago #
  12. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you have started a collection then stick to it. Get the 2019 pipe.
    It's not the 2019 that bothers me. But the 2018 was butt ugly.

Posted 5 months ago #
  13. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Every beautiful girl has at least one blemish somewhere. Sets are beautiful. Just photoshop the the 2018 out if you ever get one.

Posted 5 months ago #
  14. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sets are beautiful. Just photoshop the the 2018 out if you ever get one.

Posted 5 months ago #
  15. theosprey247

theosprey247

Login to Send PM

I like the 2016 edition the best

Posted 5 months ago #
  16. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

I hated last year's too. I like this year's though... I can replace my lost system and St. Patrick's Day pipes with one purchase, which is how I'm selling it to the Minister of Finance.

BTW... The St.Patrick's Day pipe I lost was the one with the green/orange/white band, I think from around 1998. If y'all should happen to run across one, please let me know.

Posted 5 months ago #
  17. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gerry, this is by far, so far, my favorite St. Patrick's Day Pete. It is banded like you mention.

Posted 5 months ago #
  18. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

Nice! Mine was a smooth bent, similar if not identical to the smooth bent 1998 shown on the below page. The color was the same too.
    http://www.petersonpipenotes.org/tag/peterson-st-patricks-day-pipe-1998

Posted 5 months ago #
  19. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm now thinking about picking up the 307. So many of these look alike it's hard to tell much a difference. I like a nice, big bowl and the 314 looked nice, but it's hard to identify a size I like as among the pipes of the same model, they differ in bowl diameter and depth. Gah...decisions, decisions. I was hoping to have the shape I wanted picked out before they release so all I have to do is add to cart and click buy!

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm now thinking about picking up the 307.
    I'm leaning toward the 307 as well. The shape seems to be speaking to me just a bit more.... so far. That may change by the time they're released lol.

Posted 5 months ago #
  21. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, lol, I just didn't want to sit there staring at them all trying to figure out which one I wanted just to have them get snatched up by the time I decide, if they go that quick, that is. Hoping to at least know roughly which shapes I've narrowed it down to by Wednesday.

Posted 5 months ago #
  22. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just didn't want to sit there staring at them all trying to figure out which one I wanted just to have them get snatched up by the time I decide, if they go that quick, that is.
    That's happened to me a couple of times! Then I was looking all over for the shape I wanted, hoping to order it soon enough that it would actually be delivered before Saint Patrick's Day!

Posted 5 months ago #
  23. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since 1998, Peterson of Dublin has released a special, limited edition St. Patrick’s Day pipe each year, featuring many of the brand’s most popular designs, finished in a singular style unique to that edition. 2019’s St. Patrick’s pipe is the first to feature Peterson’s famed System engineering, a unique combination of higher draft hole and deep moisture well that promotes a gurgle free smoke. Available in nine fan-favorite shapes, split between p-lip (pictured below) and fishtail bits and finished in a deep, emerald green stain, it’s the perfect addition to the annual, limited edition line, and a testament to Peterson’s Irish heritage and tradition.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  24. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm fighting Spigot PAD right now. If I don't get an actual St. Patrick's Day from the above series.....I'm grabbing this.

Posted 5 months ago #
  25. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good luck, Tim! A battle for sure.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  26. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahh, the days of pipe buying are gone. . .

I never forgave Peterson for dipping their pipes. I'd read posts by the diehards saying, "Yeah, I'm 20 bowls in and she's starting to come around." Then I heard about pipes drilled off-center, and that was it. Never owned one, despite had I been less busy judging the company by their defects and looked for a pipe without them I'm sure could have found a Peterson with which I was happy.

Posted 5 months ago #
  27. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

had I been less busy judging the company by their defects and looked for a pipe without them I'm sure could have found a Peterson with which I was happy

This an absolutely correct statement. I shunned them for a while because of the internet bullshit.

Since I really got into Pete's I haven't found ONE dud. The only dud I had back in the day was due to the TURDS at ShineyPipes.

I'll tell how deep my love for Pete's has gone. I essentially only smoke pipes from two makers .... Peterson and Ryan Alden.

I have more than those two, but they do the heavy lifting.

Posted 5 months ago #
  28. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Ahh, the days of pipe buying are gone. . .

Same, though if they had have brought back the B56 for the SPD 2019 collection like they did in 2017, I'd likely get one.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 5 months ago #
  29. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got mine! A 307 P-lip

I can't wait to get it, although I won't smoke it until St. Patrick's Day.

Posted 5 months ago #
  30. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well then I might as well cross-post over here on yours! I got mine too! Also a 307 P-lip!

I'll wait to smoke mine on St. Patrick's Day as well! Enjoy the heck out of yours too!

Posted 5 months ago #
  31. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If that's a "dress" pipe, does that make a cross dresser? What the....

Posted 5 months ago #
  32. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love the look of this finish, but I’ve seen green pipes turn all sorts of ugly browns after use. Does anybody know how Peterson green fares after a few years?

On a pipe adventure
    Steve
    Posted 5 months ago #
  33. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

but I’ve seen green pipes turn all sorts of ugly browns after use. Does anybody know how Peterson green fares after a few years?
    The first couple years they had issues with the green fading, but changed their green stain which isn't supposed to fade last year. But that being said, none of mine have lost their green at all. Part of the problem is leaving the pipe in sunlight. Mine are always on a rack in the corner of my apartment. They never get natural light... at least not for long.

Posted 5 months ago #
  34. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have an older Pete that appears to have been smoked hard. Still green, just darker green. Not quite the Celtic Ebony green, but not St. Patrick's Day green either.

Posted 5 months ago #
  35. lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh great...PAD surge hahaha. Thanks for the information, guys! Now, if they’d only make the 309 again, and in green!

Posted 5 months ago #
  36. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had a Pete 68 green spigot a few years ago. It made Nightcap sing.

After a few years of "heavy lifting", the bowl began to turn turd-brownish in spots and it started to look a pipe with Mossy Oak break-up. An old hunting buddy of mine saw it one day, liked it more than I did and "poof", it was gone.

Anymore, the only pipes I have are a few Castellos but, I'll have to say, that 03 up there (and its spigot counterpart) are awfully tempting.

Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  37. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any worries about the stain? I remember something about the green stain doesn't hold up to time.

Edit
    Missed the post above me.

Posted 5 months ago #
  38. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Leacha, from what I understand, because of that issue, Peterson began using a new green stain last year that should not fade like the old ones. I guess we shall see.

Posted 5 months ago #
  39. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope you're right on that one, Anthony.

In my eye, the green (and ebony) spigots are beautiful pipes.

Posted 5 months ago #
  40. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been trying to resist

Posted 5 months ago #
  41. biosharkdev

biosharkdev

Login to Send PM

I've ordered mine on-line yesterday with a ton of Peterson and Rattrays tobacco. In Germany only 2 models were available with filter, not the system.

I've got #303.

Posted 4 months ago #
  42. biosharkdev

biosharkdev

Login to Send PM

P.S. At least on the description of both on-line shops I've checked was stated that they are filter ones. So... I'll updated my post later to let you know if I've got a filtered one or "The System"

Posted 4 months ago #
  43. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats, Bioshark. Enjoy the heck out of it!

Posted 4 months ago #
  44. btp79

btp79

Login to Send PM

I ended up getting a 305 but the only stain issue I have is inside the bowl. It's strait up tacky, not in the aesthetic sense, but as a physical property. I tried smoking it, but the coating inside the bowl started to bubble. Anyone had this issue with these pipes or prior versions? I'm not quite sure what to do about it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  45. biosharkdev

biosharkdev

Login to Send PM

Thanks anthonyrosenthal. You enjoy yours as well.

I was luck the way I've ordered it. I actually went to the shop to order tobacco, and there I saw them, in all their beauty. I've recently bought another Peterson (Sterling Silver Army 999) so I wasn't planning on getting one soon, but I just couldn't say no. They are great looking pipes.

Posted 4 months ago #
  46. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

Any results on the improved stain from this year after smoking a couple times? I swore off their green pipes because all three of my green Peterson pipes changed colors. I had two of the 2015 St. Patty's day pipes and a Racing Green. They both turned yellowish brown on me.

Posted 4 months ago #
  47. cohibajoe

cohibajoe

Login to Send PM

Picked up 2019 "305" at TP..which has 18% on Peterson Pipes till the weekend.

Posted 4 months ago #
  48. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ended up getting a 305 but the only stain issue I have is inside the bowl. It's strait up tacky, not in the aesthetic sense, but as a physical property. I tried smoking it, but the coating inside the bowl started to bubble. Anyone had this issue with these pipes or prior versions? I'm not quite sure what to do about it.

If you mean the black coating inside the bowl, yeah, mine started coming off after scraping the bowl after the first smoke. Then more of it came off each time I wiped the bowl out. Finally I took it to the sink, ran hot water through it and used very little pressure with a bunch of paper towels and wiped most of it out. You can see the bare briar on the inside now. Not a huge fan of the coatings, but it's all good now.

Posted 4 months ago #
  49. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

litup, I don't own a green Pete and couldn't comment on how the green stain holds up nowadays, but what you describe I've sen others report during that time period as well. So, think that commonly happened with that stain then. I've seen photos where the bowl has become mottled and mostly brown.

Posted 4 months ago #
  50. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you mean the black coating inside the bowl, yeah, mine started coming off after scraping the bowl after the first smoke.
    Yep. The bowl coating they used on these pipes this year was a bit sub-par to say the least. If you purchase one, you may as well just go ahead and remove the bowl coating... it's gonna come off anyway Other than that, no issues with mine. As far as the green stain issue that has also been brought up in this thread, Peterson said last year's pipe had an improved stain that shouldn't lose it's color. I imagine they used the same stain this year. As far as the older versions, the first time they used the stain was on the rim of the 2014 pipes. On my 2014 and the later models, the stain has held, and they're all still very green. But my pipes don't get a lot of natural light, and that was a factor with the those that lost color. I remember someone posted a photo of one that had been in a shop window. The left side of the pipe had turned brown, while the other side remained green.

Posted 4 months ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

coxman

Login to Send PM

I fo ally got to enjoy my Peterson today. It was my first time smoking a system pipe and I must say I was impressed. I do like this pipe quite a lot! I paired it wil Eileen’s Dream and it was a great smoke...

Posted 4 months ago #
  52. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats, Coxman! Yours is a beauty. Enjoy the heck out of it!

Posted 4 months ago #
  53. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Coxman, nice pipe!! Glad you're enjoying the system pipe.

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   greeneyes, ron123, cshubhra, lloydcole, clickklick, smipe, shayde