PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
As I was smoking 1 of my plumper Peterson pipes this afternoon, realized that, in contradistinction to Cosmic, 1 of the things I like about their design aesthetic is their penchant for plump pipes. There are some pipe shapes I'm rather meh about such as brandies and apples but when plumped way up like Peterson did with the Castle Birr and the B42 shape respectively, then it really gets me going. 1 of my favorite bent billiard shapes is their deluxe 9s, a rather large and plump number. Of course, always prefer a plump Rhodesian over the slimmer versions, though a plump 1 of those is no longer made by Peterson.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like the trademark Peterson chunkiness, it is true, but also the sparer versions of other brands. For example, I like the beefy look of Pete bent bulldogs and their 999 Rhodesians, but also the trimer versions of those pipes by others. Maybe my all-time favorite Pete is their B11 bent brandy, so much that I own two in different series, one of the most underrated shapes in pipedom, not too heavy, quite light weight for its size, plenty of bowl, and ... it's a sitter! When you're a little weary, light up one of these and it's a whole new day.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I ordered another De Luxe 9s yesterday evening from Harrison & Simmonds, UK.

It is already on its way, with a little luck I will have it on Wednesday.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Lovely pipes Al and a great reminder that chubby pipes have deep roots and aren’t just a modern trend. I’d love to see a photo of someone’s smoking one of these old fat Pete’s in their native environment.

in contradistinction to Cosmic

Wait, are you saying that I am plump? :puffy: Ha ha, as if I am talking to my wife, I had to really think, "what did I say?" I think one time I did refer to Petes as pretty girls, but with fat legs. I do admit that I prefer a pencil thin shank,.. and girls with long thin legs... with blue jean shorts and... oh never mind. But, as the Good Book says, there is a special someone out there for everyone. Thank you for giving the girls with fat legs some love. If we all were attracted to the same things, pencil thin shanks would cost a fortune. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just as a mild counterpoint here, Peterson does make a few pipes that are not plump. Their Belgique pipes are Group 1, small pipes with very slender shanks and stems, great for sampling, short smokes, or longer smokes with flake. Because they are extra trim, they are not ideal for pocket pipes (vulnerable to snapping), though they might ride in a breast pocket if you are careful. Also their tankards are kind of spare and bony looking, no Peterson plumpness there.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Al, that chubby Rhodie is a sweet Pete. I was lucky way back to snag a chubby Rhodesian from Peterson's older Dublin and London line. Only gripe about them is the very shallow bowls leading to many re-loads but no big deal with that.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Those BBW pipes are rather attractive. You have to love a sturdy, healthy pipe with a strong appetite for tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.