Peterson's Molly Malone or Mark Twain Set? Decisions, Decisions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I know I want to get one of the two but I can't seem to make up my mind on which set. If anyone has either of the sets I'd love to hear how well they smoke. Might make my decision a little easier.

Dec 24, 2012
I have a Mark Twain set - couple of the first pipes I purchased. I also have a 1981 Mark Twain pipe I picked up from Great Estates. I smoke the former but have not smoked the latter. The set smokes great - seem to be some of Petersons higher quality pipes. I should add though that the bent pipe in the set is an army mount/spiggot and, like many army mounts, it does not pass a pipe cleaner, but it does smoke well nevertheless.

Aug 14, 2012
I got the Twain set a few years ago. The grain was painted on the pipe with stain, on the bent billiard. Very unacceptable.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Foggy that's crazy! I would have never thought a pipe maker would do that especially a well known brand.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I have the Molly set in the smooth finish. I really enjoy those pipes. Nice thick briar and smoke really well. The bent Molly seems to make my VaPer's taste sweeter. I don't know if it is the briar, the shape, or my imagination. You can not get a pipe cleaner through the bent Molly but you can easily through the straight. After the bowls started to darken from being smoked I started to notice fills in both pipes. That was disappointing to me, but if you are looking at the blasted ones no worries then. I clench both of them also. The bent is perfectly balanced for me. Over all I recommend them.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The bent Molly seems to make my VaPer's taste sweeter. I don't know if it is the briar, the shape, or my imagination.
Sometimes it's the briar, but I think the stain has an effect, too, strange as that sounds.
As for the two sets, I think the Molly Malone is really fetching with the gray-green stem. That's fairly unique and nicely done. The sandblast has a really cool look to it, but the smooth and rusticated are nice, too.
molsb.jpg

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I have the Molly with the finish and stems pictured in pitchfork's post. Good pipes, I have no complaints.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have many Petersons of many models. Peterson's all smoke well despite the model. I believe that what you are getting with the Sherlock Holmes model is a better looking pipe with no fills and a tradition since they are copies of the Petersons of old.

Status
Not open for further replies.