PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
What a treat!!! I've been smoking 965, but have been looking for a good shag or ribbon Vaper for a while. Dunhills Elizabethan was a little disappointing, but I just busted open a tin of Irish Oak, and what a great smoke! Some other Petes were a little disappointing, but I will have to get more of this. The only other tins I have open now are some bulk St James flake and MM 965.

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
Can you give a description of the smoke...I have heard lots of great things.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Its the closest thing to Escudo I have had that is not a flake with a touch of Cavendish for sweetness, and that tang you get with Vapers. Can definitely taste the perique which is what I like. As opposed to Elizabethan which just tasted harsh like a cigarette.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
It does have a higher nicotene content which I try to avoid but I can live with it.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
verse, here's a review I did of this blend a little while back:
Tin note is sweet bread and a hint of Virginia hay. Presentation is typical Peterson fine ribbon. Moisture content was not bad, almost just right as is. A short dry time of ten minutes is recommended. Takes a match well and requires few if any relights.
Initial note is cavendish forward on the charring light - not in an aromatic way, but rather natural cavendish, analogous to Luxury Bullseye Flake if you dropped a rubbed-out cavendish core right on top of the bowl. I detect no Perique until about half way through the bowl when I can sense the spice in my sinus cavities. But perique content is light. Virginias assert in final half of the bowl and, in the final third it all comes together marvelously. I like blends like this that change flavors as the bowl progresses. I found, in the final quarter of the bowl, that the cavendish reasserts as pleasantly sweet.
The tin describes this blend as Virginia, Cavendish and Perique. But the description in the box at top also state's burley as an ingredient. If there is burley present, it's blended harmoniously as I don't pick it up as a dominant or distinct flavor.
While not generally a fan of Peterson blends (University Flake excepted), I really enjoy this one. An excellent VaPer hybrid for those who prefer very light Perique. A nice change of pace for smokers of PS Luxury Bullseye Flake. May not satisfy the hard core VaPer smoker but I find it a nice diversion from the main rotation. Very pleasant smoke.
As a side note, I'm surprised many found this blend medium-to-full in strength and taste. Despite the strong name, "Irish Oak", I found it very light as compared to a traditional VaPer and would highly recommend it to those just newly experimenting with this type of blend, or those who prefer a lighter blend.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Tin note has an interesting vinegar quality and it smokes silky smooth. The taste seems a bit cigarettish though and the vitamin N is quite heavy. I’m not sure if this will become a go to blend for me, but I plan on picking up a few more tins to cellar. I’ll continue to smoke the tin I’ve already opened but only on an occasional basis.
It is a quality product so I would definitely recommend it to all pipe smokers, as you never know if it’s for you ‘til you try it for yourself.
Dot

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Perique that's a pretty good review. Similar to my thoughts on it.
It might be the marketing, but I swear I can taste a sherry/vinegar taste the first few minutes of the bowl. I have a reaction to burley normally, but I can tolerate Irish Oak pretty well. I bought another tin and tossed it in the drawer to see if that burley calms down any. I can't do multiple bowls in the same day or my whole mouth hurts.
It's a great smoke in the morning with a cup of black coffee. Little bit of a Vitamin N and caffeine pickup.

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
Perique...thanks for that description; you have great writing skill...and have clearly smoked a few bowls :)
I am enjoying the english blends right out of the gate. Tried the aromatics but they did not smoke how they smell. I quite like EMP...but find it a little bland for my liking. Also like FM...which I understand is an english and something else blend. Does this blend have a little more flare than the EMP?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Just dropped it out of my rotation. Today I smoked my last bowl for a long while. I simply don't enjoy the taste. I smoked an easy 10 or 12 bowls out of two very different pipes, but I hate to admit I just don't like it.
I hope to have better luck with some Old Dublín as soon as I can get my hands on some!
Dot

Status
Not open for further replies.