PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Ha! I finally got it with the Irish Flake!
I find it very tasty, very nice flavour, but extremely strong. Using my small Peterson's Barrel and cube cutting it into very small cubes, the smoke became bore intens than rubbing out. And the small bowl gives a shorter smoke and thus not giving me a nicotin intox. 8O

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Hahaha @ roth, I recall you mentioning this as a "big boy flake" a month or few ago. Definitely kicked me in the pants the first few times around. Good and tasty (and hefty) flake. I don't have any tiny bowls, so I just learned (rather quickly) to pack halfies lol. :puffy:

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
Rothnh, agree! If not taking care, she will knock you down.
It is superb after a heavy meal with an espresso based drink.

Problem: I'm weak...it makes me drink espresso around midnight from time to time. Quite a stupid thing to do, if one intend to sleep.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Irish Flake is one of those flakes that continues to improve as it sits in the opened tin. Good stuff!

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I absolutely love irish flake. If one could buy it in bulk, it would be an all day smoke for me.

jfox520

May 24, 2013
I finally smoked a few more bowls of Irish Fake cube cut in a small bowl. This is a great tobacco. I am letting some sit for a while I am shooting for six months, but I may not be able to wait.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
In my limited experience, Irish Flake mellows out considerably after 2-3yrs. This is, however, after being left in an open tin for that long. I just moved it into a jar with one of those hydrating discs. Smokes great! I'm hoping to get a few more tins, but I'm putting off my TAD for about a year

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I absolutely love irish flake. If one could buy it in bulk, it would be an all day smoke for me.
Bryanf, you are a real grown up! I'm just a boy, managing half a small bowl every other day. The tin aroma scares me. 8O

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Stick with it gents, it will reward you! I've been smoking this flake for many years now. I started with it because I just liked the idea of smoking an Irish tobacco in my first trusty old Peterson.
I love the look of the beautifully-even-cut flakes against the white paper in the tin. It is also dry from the start, and in my opinion needs no extra drying. I usually rub it out before packing the bowl. It burns very consistently and, because I know it so well, I use it to try out the smoking qualities of my new pipes.
I hear what you say about its potential kick, but I tend to "sip" it and no longer have any such trouble. It is in my regular rotation, any time of day, and is in my top ten tobaccos.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Good to hear, I may have to try that one. On a side note, has anyone tried Peterson Irish Oak? I just ordered some the other day, and I was wondering what to expect.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I need to open another tin of this blend, thanks for the reminder. It is indeed a very tasty after dinner smoke. I always use a group 4 sized pipe for it and cube cut.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Well now I'm off to my B&M again to get Irish Flake, thanks guys.

~Ron

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
@Ron: Did you get your tin?
Tell us what you think when you have had time to try it.
It's morning here in Copenhagen, so not the right time for me and IF. Later.

I have just completed the obligatory EMP and the first espresso. Now it's time for another coffee and some Marlin Flake.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
JR Burlington NC had a tin about 3 weeks ago. I've smoked a good bit of IF but not lately as I find I don't want to pay for tins. I'd rather smoke Dark Flake @ $53.00/500 g, and at that price IF is twice as expensive; ditto 1792.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Cracked open a tin last St Patrick's day to try in one of my Peterson's. Since, I add a couple of tins with almost every order. Love the stuff. I did learn the benefits of a small bowl and a full stomach the hard way tho.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
At first my attitude about this tobacco was ho-hum. I even gave away my tin to my cousin whose last name is Milligan. He gave it back saying it was just too strong. By this time it had dried out pretty well and I started smoking it again and like some of the above posters say it just gets better with some age and drying. I cube cut mine and smoke full bowls with no ill effects. Now I love the stuff and will be including some tins in my next TAD order.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Nachman, interestingly I find Irish Oak and anniversary Kake to be very different tobaccos, and enjoy both. Never occured to me to compare them in the same sentence. Difference is the spice of life in this hobby, I suppose.
As for Irish Flake, I must be one of the very few if only high-nic tolerance ex cigarette guys who doesn't enjoy it. Too one-dimensional for me, and too harsh. To each his own in this great big tent of ours.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Tried a tin early on and liked it but wasn't thrilled. I need to revisit in now that I've learned a bit about preparing flakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.