PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
i cant really call this a review, just a couple of quick thoughts. im smoking my first bowl of it right now and boy am i enjoying it! easy lighting, great taste and quite a nic kick( i never smoked cigarettes so maybe im a lightweight, but it seems strong.) ill add more as i go through the tin but as of now, id recommend it!

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I went looking for another tin of Autumn Evening but stuck out.. the owner recommended the Hyde Park. Since I usually like Petersons stuff I went for it and have bought 2 tins since.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Hyde Park is not my thing. Had 4 bowls out of a tin, in different pipes, different packing, different drying, bottom line: the blend doesn't appeal to my taste buds. Though I have to say, that I haven't had a single Peterson tobacco that appealed to me, so I'm not a big fan overall.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
well @rcstan, im not the guy for a real good review. my nose doesn't work that well so im probably not giving all the info i should. also, ive only had one bowl so far so i couldnt even begin to do it justice yet. ill keep yas posted.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Rc,
The packaging says "Bright and red Virginias with Maple Syrup flavouring".

When you open the tin it smells like an English (Latakia) blend soaked with a red fruit tea.

When you puff the blend, it tastes like an acrid smokey red berry. Very harsh and sharp on the tongue.
To me it's real bad. The last bowl I put out after 10 minutes because I couldn't take the crap anymore.
For the record I'm a lover of fine Virginia's (Orlik, MB Navy, Escudo, ...), English blends (Nightcap, 965, ...), Balkans (Fusilier's, FM, ...) and Orientals (3 Oaks, Bombay Court, ...). I also do enjoy the occasional Aromatic, like Sillem's black (latakia aro), Boswell's Vanilla, Solani Green, Larsen, 7 Seas, etc.. Hyde Park does not fit into what I like at all.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
bubblehead no worries. I'd usually say : "it tastes sweet/sour/smokey/bitter/bland"
hfearly based on the description and what you have experienced, I would probably have the same reaction. I don't think it's a bad blend, it's just the Red VA which causes a chemical "allergy", if you would .... I cannot smoke any C&D blends ( tried 6 of their Balkan/Englishes with ill results ) because they use Red VA as a base.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Rc,
I love red virginias :) McClelland Red Cake, Christmas Cheer are delicious. No Reaction. Hyde Park is just hideous ;-) (personal opinion)

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
just a quick update. smoked half a bowl last night and the Vitamin N really got the best of me. gonna put it in the back of my cellar and maybe dig it out down the road.

Jul 15, 2011
I have a tin of this coming in the mail. Sounds like some damn tasty stuff. I have a lot of Peterson blends cellard but havent tried any yet. Probably going to wait until the summer when I prefer an aro a little more. I also got some of their Nutty Cut and tins of their Connoisseurs Choice and Sunset Breeze, not to mention a crap ton of their 2012 Special Reserve thanks to my man Garyovich.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I am going to bump this thread.
Does anyone have any serious experience with this blend? I have been working my way through the Peterson blends and I have been anticipating loving this blend based on the tin description. I was thoroughly disappointed. I have only smoked one bowl and will smoke a few more before I jar it to try again in a few years but I just couldn't get into this. No flavor at all to what I was expecting based on tin description. I do not like Latakia, and this does not have any in it, but I had the same general experience I usually have when I try a latikia blend. All big bold smoke. Not my thing. I was expecting a much lighter sweeter smoke.
I even dumped the bowl after half way through. I think I was just so put off I couldn't force myself to finish it.
I will smoke another bowl of this tonight and rub it out and dry it well to see if that helps. I almost bought a 5 tin supply thinking I knew I was going to like this. Glad I didn't at the moment. Instead I ordered 5 tins of Peterson Connoisseurs Choice, which I really really like.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Dochudson...can you elaborate a little more?
Did you like it from the start? Do you prepare it a certain way? Do you only smoke it in a certain pipe? What about it do you like?
I really want to like this blend. I feel I just may not be mature enough palate/technique wise to handle it.

Jul 15, 2011
It appears that Hyde Park is a crossover crossover?
A Virginia/burley that is topped and pressed that is at once a crossover aromatic and a crossover Lakeland?
On the review sites this blend is touted as being more like a "Lakeland" tobacco than anything else, and this has really got me curious. Famous youtube personality dubinthedam put a review up that said it is one of the best Lakelands he has tried, and that man is famous for loving Lakeland blends. It has really got me curious, I have a couple of pipes that are Lakeland ghosted so maybe this will give me a chance to put those pipes back in rotation. I might have to crack my tin open and see if I can pick it apart.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
There was one review in particular that speculated that this blend is possibly made by G&H or SG for Peterson. They seemed to think this not only because of the characteristics of the blend but because of it coming in a bag instead of the paper presentation normally found in the round Peterson tins. I was surprised by this as well. Mine was one solid cake inside of a plastic bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.