Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice.... SUPER FRUITY

(7 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by ssavarimuthu
  • Latest reply from The Pipe Monk
  1. ssavarimuthu

ssavarimuthu

Login to Send PM

This blend was my first go-to favorite. I found it nice, sweet, and provided a great room note.

But recently I was smoking Connoisseur's Choice, and realized just how ridiculously fruity it was. I read some reviews of it before I started smoking it, and saw this claim as well. But it wasn't until recently that I really tasted this overly fruity tone that I had been hearing about. It almost came across as a fake fruity hookah taste to me, and it caused me to feel a little sick to the stomach.

Maybe my pallet is finally being developed. But I wanted to see if anyone else here has had the same experience, either with this blend or with another.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. ltstone

ltstone

Login to Send PM

I have not tried that particular blend (yet) but yes I have had the same experience as you. I have a thread about it here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/i-got-it-i-finally-got-it.

Oh and hey welcome to the forum, let us know how things progress!

an ego without the power to notice itself
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SS I saw your post earlier and it got me curious. I bought a couple tins of CC a while back and I went and checked my cellar and found the last tin dated April 2013. I cracked it open and packed a bowl. Yep you're right it is pretty fruity but I like it. Nice change from straighter Virginia blends. I like that is has some nice flakes thrown into the blend.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. rfernand

r

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can relate to how my perception of a blend changes over time -- especially after not smoking it for a while. Not sure if it means I'm getting more sophisticated or just older

Dunhill will return.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. bpftc

bpftc

Login to Send PM

I used to smoke a lot of connoisseurs choice as well but as I got more into Latakia and Virginia blends it became too fruity for me also. Try Nutty Cut as an alternative. Still has a great room note but isn't as fruity. Oh and stay away from Petersons holiday blend. It is so fruity that it's like smoking a jolly rancher.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs, unless you’re wearing an ironic t-shirt and playing badminton – then you just look like a pussy.”
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. ssavarimuthu

ssavarimuthu

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone. Glad I'm not he only one.

And bpftc, I'll have to try Nutty Cut really soon.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didnt liked it fresh out of the tin. It gave me tongue bite and so it was jarred and forgotten for 3 months. The smoke afterwards became tolerable, the sweetness coming out in the blend. It's been almost a year and every once in a while I smoke a bowl. It has become good. I have done the same with Molto Dolce and the smoke was interesting but lacked body and strength.

My advise, stay away from Nutty Cut, its just Connoisseurs Choice with extra bright virginias in it.

Hope it helps.

Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   odobenus, craig61a, disinformatique, condorlover1