PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
lately I've been looking for two specific models of Peterson Waterfords, 999 Rhodesian and 502 Apple, and came to realize this very Peterson Line up seems pretty limited in availability,especially in Europe including England, in almost every place the 502 straight apple shape were sold out and when restockingin is expected no can tell,finally I discovered one of these 502 remaining at one Russian (St Petersburg)based tobacconist and had it personally delivered to me(amazing service)Pretty similar scenario repeated with 999 Rhodesian,bought the very last one from Cgars.Ltd England, and those folks at Cgars Ltd were similarly unable to tell when and if restock is due somewhere down the road.Now,does anybody have idea why this Peterson Waterford is so in short supply,Thanks for the advice, Paul

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm flat impressed with your tracking down these specific pipes you wanted and having good service with delivery too. I am intrigued with how availability fluctuates. A recent Forums post told about a member losing a favorite Oom-Paul, and I suggested a Sav Hercules might be an appropriate replacement, since it doesn't take a filter and is light weight for its size bowl, etc. etc. But when I went out to find a link to that particular model, I found plenty of Hercules but no Oom-Paul in that series. I assume it is supply and demand, and if retailers don't get back and reorder specific shapes in particular series, the factory takes them off the production schedule. That assumes there is a rational explanation. Or it could be that certain areas have a healthy demand and buy up all the inventory on particular pipes and leave the rest of the pipe market out of it. Or some factory manager decides he doesn't like the pipe, those kinds of personal factors that we'll never know. The middle men retailers seem to have only limited clout in ordering specific pipes. I suspect they can order a quantity, but not always a single pipe, or so it seems.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Things are different in the U.S.A. They're both available at TobaccoPipes.com for $112 USD

IMG_7169__76953.1499860422.350.350.jpg

IMG_7163__81718.1499861349.350.350.jpg

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
I have an XL22 Waterford (9mm). This is a 2017 line of Petes, nothing special... except they look great w/Cumberland acrylic stems. Got it from Dublin's James Fox when released.

http://www.pipedivan.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_13_131

https://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/2017/04/29/62-the-new-waterford-line/
This Florida company has several shapes in stock, no tax or shipping fees:

http://www.tobaccopipes.com/search.php?search_query=waterford&Search=

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Yes but tobaccopipes as everywhere else models of 999 and 502 sold out,I got both and must say these offer more than good value ,exeptional draw and fairly well performed finish, (I got other newer Peterson to comapare with) then I've been told by one of the English retailers this line was discontinued,I must check If this is truly the case and will keep you posted further.

Thanks for the input in this subject,

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Peterson every year sells lines of pipes that are made for that year only, unlike their regular offered lines. Waterford are one of that group. It sometimes happens that not all style numbers in a line are imported into the U.S. I had that happen. I wanted a Derry Rustic in the A1 style Bulldog and although the line was imported the A1 wasn't so I had to find one on the European market (Italy is a good place to look) When they're sold out there are no additional runs. These lines are featured in a catalogue that is usually published in the spring with the actual release dates around July/August. I collect XL21 pipes and have found you have to buy them when first released if you want a specific style number. There are sometimes pipes that come on the market late in the year that are "clean outs" of stock that was received by the distributor earlier in the year but never made it to retailers. Happy hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies.