ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Mark Irwin has a blog entry describing some of the new lines:

https://petersonpipenotes.wordpress.com/tag/peterson-waterford-pipe/

Dec 24, 2012
I like the finish on that one. I need to grab a Peterson. Does anyone think the quality of the pipes (and, in particular, the drilling) will improve following Laudisi's purchase of Peterson?

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Glad to hear this about Waterford. Had a problem with refinishing an Atlantic and asked Glen if a Waterford would be an adequate substitute, a 106, BTW.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Peck, I own quite a few Petersons and I only disliked one. The finish resembled plastic. I've never had a drilling problem.
I have 70+ Peterson pipes, all smoke great, except one. I've never had a drilling issue. I think rumor and conjecture go along way. Statements like: "Well I heard..." or "well a guy at my pipe club..." or "the forums say..."
Dip stained in the past? Yes. In fact I'm breaking in a 1981 Peterson Supreme 2s (basically the 80's version of the Deluxe) Gorgeous pipe. Flame grain, flawless, no fills....dip stained. It smokes amazing, but I'm pushing through the stain. I think the dip staining ended at some time in the early 2000's, but yet I will still see one pop up. Never a drilling issue though.
It seems like everyone has tons of issues with Peterson pipes, yet tons of people own them and like them. You do the math.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I’ve had drilling issues, fitment issues, and a badly bent stem... and that was all on one pipe. The only new Pete I ever bought, last year’s Christmas pipe. The lovely creamy swirl acrylic stem was bent such that the button was at a 45 degree angle from level if the stem was nested in the shank properly.
Could I fix this? Yes. Did I? Yes. Should I have had to? Nope.
The Rosslare 80S I own? Lovely. A truly marvelllous pipe. But people who speak about QC issues coming out of Peterson aren’t just blowing smoke.
Thanks for the link, Al.
— Pat

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I have several Petes, the biggest portion of my collection are Petes, they are excellent pipes!!

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks Pat. That's why I asked. I had one relatively new Peterson a few years back when I enterred the hobby. It was a straight pipe and couldn't pass a pipe cleaner without contorting the cleaner numerous times. I gave the pipe away. It takes a ton of skill to make a straight pipe that won't pass a pipe cleaner. That's why I asked my question. Love the company and the history and would love to have another. Hope QC improves.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Have 6-8 Petes, none with a smoking problem (including drilling, passing pipe cleaner). One has so many fills it looks like it should have been sandblasted. It is in the Aran line.
I visited the store in Dublin two years ago and picked out two very decent black blasts for under $150 the pair. One bent, one billiard. There were, however, a fair number of the 50 pipes I handled that had off center drilling into the stummel.

Dec 24, 2012
I assume the pipe I got was made on Friday after a typical Irish lunch. How do I request a pipe made on a Monday?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
One thing I like to say about all my Petersons in the past and now,they all and each had(have) pretty descent draw being not too open nor narrow,just now am smoking My Rosslare Royal Irish shape 05 which I find very nice pipe,(one minor fill and thats was all faults I could found in it)only one downside is that it's a bit heavy when compared to my French make pipes or Stanwells.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I assume the pipe I got was made on Friday after a typical Irish lunch. How do I request a pipe made on a Monday?
When they're all hungover?? :) (At least that's the "wisdom" often spouted about buying an American made auto: No Monday or Friday made vehicles.)
Just call Aer Lingus and book a flight to Dublin.....

Status
Not open for further replies.