PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarorbust

Lurker
May 5, 2019
Hi there
I’m relatively new to pipe smoking (about 8 months) and am loving it. I’ve got a couple of cheaper pipes but I’m looking to buy myself something a little bit more special. I’m fancying a bent bulldog and have currently narrowed it down to two, Peterson Aran 80s and a Vauen Empire.
I was just wondering which of the two brands people feel is the better buy? I realise every pipe is differs, but was wondering if there is any marked difference in quality between the two brands? Are you psying simply for the brand or do the prices reflect quality?
I tend to prefer 9mm filter pipes and have found 9mm versions of each.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
I have only bad experiences with Petersons and only good with Vauen. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I think Vauen is a more reliable brand quality-wise than Peterson by the overall reviews.

Jan 8, 2013
I have 15 Petersons. No issues, other than I'm not a big fan of their newest bowl coating.
Edit to add: Make that 16. But my 2019 pipe of the year hasn't arrived in the mail yet :wink:

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
That’a good to know. What kind of issues have you had?
My Donegal Rocky bent bulldog was whistling as a steamtrain and nothing helped on it so I had to sell it. The other one I still have is a Sherlock Watson, it is overdrilled and always gurgles no matter how and what I smoke in it. As I said, maybe it is only my luck, Anthony has no problems.

My meer-lined bent billiard army stem Vauen is one of my best smokers, it has a perfect finish and gives very dry and cool tasteful smoke without any issues. I would choose a Vauen over a Pete any day. But I need to give to Peterson that their shapes and desings are very nice, I like their appearance more than Vauens.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Never had issues with either. The only consistently bad pipes I've had in my collection were all Dunhills.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have any Vauen but I've never heard anyone complain. I have a number of Petersons and never a problem, but I've certainly heard about a number of issues. My particular Petes have been a joy -- an Around the World Series commemorative pipe for Ireland in a red stain with a wide silver band, a B11 brandy bent sitter Killarney ebony, etc.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
I like my Vauen. I don't have a Peterson.
I thought Vauen was a pretty well known name. But, when I was in The Briar & The Burley (Bloomington, IN...a store with an amazingly large inventory of pipes), I asked if they had any Vauens, and the guy behind the counter said he'd never heard the name before. I thought he was pulling my leg, but he stood his ground. Very weird, I thought.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
I will add: I use my Vauen with filters. I use my other pipes without filters. Depends on my mood.
When I started out (one year ago), I liked the filter, so I loved my Vauen (and I still do).
Lately, I find that I'm starting to lean toward non-filtered smoking. (Still, you can smoke Vauens without a filter.)
Whose to say what I will be doing in 6 months.

crazyhog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2015
I'm a fan of Vauen pipes and their 9mm filters!
vauen-dublin-600x323.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.