PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Recently I was looking at pictures of Savinelli pipes posted on the forum. I hadn't realized what good looking pipes they were.
Other than the filters, what are the differences in the pipes (ie, quality, finishes, smoking characteristics, etc.)? I realize there are die hard devotees to each of the brand, but I'm really interested in why I should choose a Savinelli over a Peterson. Thanks!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Boy, you just opened a can of worms! You'll get some opinions on this for sure! Myself, I have 10 Petersons and 2 Savenellis, all are great smokers! I wouldn't hesitate to buy either brand again! As a matter of fact, there's about 3 Savenellis I've had my eye on, at my local B&M, for a while now! A lot of people will tell you that Peterson has som quality issues these days, and I won't argue because I'm sure there are a few lemons floating around out there, but I've bought 6 new Petes in the last year and haven't had a single issue. As for the Savenellis and their filters, I don't use them! I've never liked filters, I've still got unopened packs of Sav filters that I'll never use! Good luck with your decision!

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I have 7 Savenillis (one of which I won in the PM contest) and 4 Petersons. So about even in purchasing amount. They both smoke as good as the other, and I never have had the stain in the bowl problem people talk about with Petersons. Really it's a style thing between them for me. I buy pipes I like the look of. I put the "tube" in my Sav's and use the filters in my MM cobs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I also have some of each. Savenellis include an Oscar lucite prince, a zulu 404, a 601 churchwarden, a Sav second billiard,

and a Group 5 bent billiard house pipe probably made by Sav. Petersons include a Killarney Rhodesian P-Lip, an Around the

World bent bulldog, two B11 bent brandy's, and a rusticated author. I"m hedging a little because I feel I may have forgotten

one or two of either brand. They are two different styles of pipes. Savenelli does perfectly crafted, spare, lightweight pipes

that always smoke just right. They seem to almost not need breaking in. Petersons are more like difficult children. They

demand more but they are substantial and memorable. I've not bought any lemons in either brand, though I have bought

a few lemon pipes in my time; I'm not just easily pleased. None of my current Sav's require filters, but that is one consideration.

I only have two filter pipes, a Dr. Grabow and a MM cob. I like a filter now and then with certain tobaccos, but filter pipes are

not generally my thing. In one instance, I found the filter adaptor on a Sav to be obtrusive in both the draw and the flavor,

so I traded off the pipe. Sav does make a number of pipes without filters, for those who don't want them, or an adaptor.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I have one Savinelli and one Peterson. They are my top two smoking pipes. My Pete is a 150 Aran Bulldog and is dedicated to English blends. My Sav is a Qandale Rusticated Churchwarden and is dedicated to Virginia's.
As for the filter, all Savs come with an adapter so you aren't required to use the filters. I try both the filter and the adapter with each new blend until I discover which way I like better for any given blend.
I'm personally more in the Savinelli over Peterson fanbase, but you likely can't go wrong with either make.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I pretty much agree with @petes03
I have only one Sav and it's an excellent smoker. I have several Petes and they too are all excellent (tho some did have Q/C issues at first).
Based on all of the conversations here, Savs are probably less likely to offer Q/C issues. However, for me, Petes have a look, style and history that really appeal. So I just make certain that the pipe is all that it should be before and after receiving it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
i have 2 Petes and about 12 Savinellis. I don't really care for the Petersons but I really enjoy the Savinellis. As for the filters, I'm with the majority. I don't use them and not all Savs are equiped for filters. Dolloar for dollar I'd take a Savinelli any day over many pipes. Good luck with your search.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have two old Savinelli Delux from the late 70's and a Punto Auro from the early 80's. I also recently bought I also recently bought a Savinelli Autograph as an estate sale. I own 8 Petersons. For my money I like Petersons since I have always received very consistent smokes out of these pipes. My Savinelli Autograph is my best smoker of my other Sav's and Peterson.

Jan 8, 2013
I have one Sav. It's unfinished and the drill is a little bit off center. But it still smokes well, and is very light and very bent and clinches wonderfully. My one Peterson is a Saint Patrick's Day 2013, also bent, but a bit too heavy for me to clinch. But it feels wonderful in the hand and smokes wonderfully. I've had my eyes on a few Petes and I can be certain I'll likely purchase more in the future. The same with Savs. I've seen a few I would love to own. That being said, the Sav was an unfinished, drilled a tad bit off (not too terrible to worry about)and was about 45 dollars. It still smokes well. The Pete is probably my best smoker, currently. I have to assume a higher quality Sav would be a pretty good smoker.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
That's true Roth. Additionally I would add that one can also pick up a good looking, clean Savinelli estate in the $50-$60 range that will likely smoke better and look prettier. Smoking Pipes has a few on hand right now that would make a great and economical start of (or addition to) a rotation.

Jul 12, 2011
I have both brands and really enjoy them both, why choose just

one? Get'em both :) feeding the PAD beast here...

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Man I have several of both...All great pipes! Did have a Savinelli burn out really quick once, vut I think it was a flaw in the briar. Hard choice!!! Good Luck

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I'd honestly find your three favorite pipes from each brand, then pick your favorite of the six based on aesthetics, proportions, price, etc. without considering brand, then buy the winner, whichever maker it's from. Just what I'd do, YMMV. Good luck!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've got a few of each and I think they are of comparable quality. I've heard a few issue's people have had with the lower tier Peterson's but I've never had a problem. My favorite pipe is a Peterson at this point. I would like to buy a few more of each brand and at the top of my list is a Peterson Spigot.
I don't use the filter in the Sav's.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I tried to buy a Pete and a Sav, out of 4 Pete Standard Systems only one didn't have to be returned and that one I nearly returned due to several flaws (bowl not cut totally round, metal band cutting slightly into the stem area, thus scratching the stem). All the other Petes were returned because of issues with the metal band either cutting right into the stem or in one case it didn't have the band, just a bunch of glue where it should have been!
Out of 3 Savs, all 3 had to be returned... The rustication was missing from large bits or the rustication was so severe it went all the way through in all of them. I'm not impressed with either brand, although I do have to say the Savs do seem to have much thicker bowls and should smoke much cooler.
These were entry level pipes in the $60-100 range so I guess the motto is go big or go home... (or in my case, get a lot of free shipping!)

chrisschneck

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
I own one Savinelli and two Petersons. I like them equally in function, but overall stylistically I prefer Savinelli. Id love to own a Linea Piu or Autograph.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I have 3 Savinellis and 6 Petersons and I've never had any of the problems that creep up on posts around here. In the end, between them, it's all aesthetic choices. If you just wanted performance vs. price, then you'd buy a cob. If you prefer the look of one, then by all means go for it. In the end, I suggest you try both at some point anyhow.
Personally, I think the Peterson shapes are pretty distinctive (and I like them) and that's probably the most clear "difference" between the brands.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Both are great brands with lots of history. As for which one is right for you I think it really is just a matter of asthetics. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. For me I like Peterson best because they stick with more traditional shapes. The Italian's and also the Danish pipe makers both have their own distinctive styles and while they don't really float my boat it's these little differences that keep things interesting. In the end I don't think you can go wrong with either unless you have a particularly unfortunate run of bad luck like Eric.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The first pipe I ever bought was a Savinelli Linea Piu 5 and it is a tremendous smoker. It smokes cool and dry and if it were not so big and heavy and had a vulcanite stem, I would smoke it much more often. I still use it for Carter Hall or if I am trying a blend that is not a flake. The smoking properties are first rate as it is drilled perfectly, has a nice open draw and is made from quality briar. I have owned 4 other Sav's and all were great smokers, only reason I sold them was they were just too big for me as my tastes in pipes changed. I owned one Pete and it had the P-Lip which I really disliked so I gave it to a friend. About a year ago, I went to my local b/m to look at his Pete's and was dismayed at how almost everyone had some quality control issue. It was mostly poor drilling and stems not fitting to the shanks and a couple had bowls out of round. I have been keeping an eye out for a pre republic with a fish tail stem, so maybe one day I will be smoking a Pete. If it were my money looking for a new pipe, I would be going with Savinelli.
Eric is the first person I have ever heard have those kinds of issues with a Sav, it must have been the vendor kept their rejects and tried passing them off on Eric instead of returning them to the factory. He must have pissed off the wrong person. lol

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I rewarded them with an extremely negative review where the manager had to respond on here about it and he was none too happy about it being made public, but when you get 3 bad pipes in a row after you have already told them to check them out, it quickly stops being cute, no matter how much free shipping you get. I doubt they did it to spite me since they had to pay shipping both ways on all these pipes. They did have the nerve to only give me a partial refund though even though I didn't keep any of the pipes, they felt like I owed them some shipping money apparently. They are not the same store that screwed me on the Petes though. I just got bad luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.