Peterson University Flake Too Strong for Me?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Hi guys,
I've picked up pipe smoking about a year ago. For a few years before that I've puffed cigars and up until 2009 I was a heavy cigarette smoker (~9 years). So I am by no means a stranger to nicotine. However, I find University Flake too strong for me. The first few flakes a few months ago were quite ok, but from the last 2 I had I really got a nicotine punch. While smoking it, everything was fine as long as I've managed to keep the tongue burn in check. After finishing the bowl, I've got all sweaty, headache, nausea ... all the traditional symptoms of nicotine poisoning. I felt exactly like 20 years ago when I was smoking cigarettes for the first time.
My usual pipe tobacco rotation contains aromatics/semi-aromatics (Peterson: Connoisseur's Choice, Summer blend 2019, Sherlock Holmes; Rattray: London Eye, Sir William, Malcolm Flake) but also straight tobacco which is not considered mild (Peterson's Old Dublin and Rattray's Marlin Flake). I can handle them all without any issue.
I haven't decided yet on the type of tobacco that suits me best, I am still trying out different blends. I've stocked up on my favorite ones already (Old Dublin, Marlin Flake, Connoisseur's Choice and Sherlock Holmes) but I still have a few unopened tins, ready to be tried out in the near future:

- Rattray: Buckingham, Old Gowrie

- Peterson: Irish Flake

- Pfeifen Huber (local store from Munich, Germany): Epikur - which is a private brand release of Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Plug.
So is University Flake that much stronger? I'm afraid of opening my Irish Flake tin now :). I might try to combine UF with other blends or just smoke half a flake at a time and see how that goes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
University Flake approaches the strong end of the spectrum, but I never considered it a powerhouse smoke. To me, Irish Flake is much stronger; and beyond that are the Sam Gawith ropes. If you crave the taste, the obvious solution is: don't inhale (no derision intended). Reserving these blends for after dinner smokes would help, as would an accompaniment of something sweet. Given your background in cigars and cigarettes, I'd guess the University Flake just caught you at a bad time, physiologically.

Reactions: anotherbob

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Thank you for your answer.
I am actually only puffing, I am not inhaling the smoke. As I've read it in other places as well, it might have happened due to the fact that I didn't really have a proper meal, just some snacks while wathing a game. I'll try to avoid it next time.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
As Cortez said, maybe reserve it for after a meal. I have some blends that I don't smoke unless I have a full belly.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I tend to go for strong blends. I have noticed that my reaction to a blend can vary. This is not only related to how much I’ve eaten. For example, there are times when a blend that usually gives me a slight mellow feeling , hits me much harder and causes a serious case of the ‘nic-ups’. Yet nothing seems apparently different than past smoking sessions that caused no such reaction. Another one of the mysteries that makes pipesmoking so interesting for me

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Try letting the University Flake age for awhile. Stick it in a mason jar and let it sit, this should help mellow it out a bit. Definitely stay away from the Irish Flake. I have not tried the newest version, but it has always been a powerhouse of a blend.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Michael, I am almost done with a 2007 tin of Irish Flake and it has been sublime. The strength has mellowed considerably as I can smoke it on an empty stomach where as when fresh I had to eat something first.
As far as the UF, I never found it to be anything more than medium in strength. A full stomach is always a good idea.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just smoked a bowl of C&D Sansepolcro, it was so long I had smoked this previously, and while I found this tobacco being very tasty natural cigarlike,but also quite a nicotine-rich, so I reckon I better off reserving this as well as other Dark fired' blends primarily for after dinner smokes.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
All of the above advice is sound. It can hit hard one day and not another. And a particular blend can be worse for one person than another. I've had this happen with this blend before, but if I eat before the bowl I am fine.

biosharkdev

Lurker
Jun 6, 2018
Thank you guys for all the feedback. I think you are all right, I was probably on an empty stomach. I'll revisit it at a later date. Currently the flakes are in a mason jar, so they might as well stay there for a while.
P.S. The Irish Flake I have, will slowly age in their sealed tin :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are several ways to address a really strong blend that may be overbearing. You can mix it with other milder blends half-and-half or as a condiment in smaller portions; you can smoke it in small bowls or partial bowls; you can smoke it incrementally when you are likely to stop and start smoking anyway (like when you're working on a project where you need both hands and don't want to clench). You can smoke it with a filter, any of the various kinds choosing the one you prefer that gives the best result. You can combine any of these methods. This will use up an open tin, and you can decide what to do from there! Aging and drying, as recommended, are other approaches. I suspect you'll find a way that you like this blend, but don't be stubborn if you don't; go for enjoyment and pass along the rest.

piperRowan

Lurker
Jul 2, 2019
Did you inhale it?
Smoke it after a big meal, it will refresh you anyway!
Welllll, if you can't enjoy it anymore, you can send all your UF to me. I will help you to 'tolerate' it :lol:

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Great advice from everyone. I did note that, though I don’t consider University Flake a ‘strong’ mixture, it is stronger than the other tobaccos that you listed in your rotation. You might dabble a bit more with other mild to mid-strength blends. You might get a similar response from the IF and the OG. I, actually would consider Old Dublin and Marlin Flake to the mild sides of their respective genres. You might approach dark fires and heavier lat mixtures on a incremental basis if you find those two to be strong.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I too used to be a cigarette smoker, and I smoke cigars now as well. I’ve been smoking a pipe for about 9 years now. Most of the blends I smoke i feel no or only a very mild nic hit. But there are a couple that punch me in the face no matter what: C&D Crooner and GL Pease Barbary Coast. I cut Crooner with a mild bulk Virginia, and when smoking Barbary Coast I employ many of the same techniques mentioned here: after dinner, smaller bowl, something sweet. I also only smoke when I know I can relax for a while after the bowl. I’m not a heavy pipe smoker, so I assume I won’t “get used to it” anytime soon.

Jan 27, 2020
I just ordered a tin of this and Bob’s Flake. Any current users care to comment how they like it? I was a bit buzzed and thought to order something else from Watch City as they are the only place I could find Bob’s in stock. i actually forget how I added the University Flake to my cart to be honest...

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I just ordered a tin of this and Bob’s Flake. Any current users care to comment how they like it?
Just had my first bowl. Good earthy Va/Bur with just the barest touch of sweet is what comes to mind to describe it. It’s not super strong, but it isn’t light.

I put half a flake in a small-medium sized bowl and found it just the right amount. Good slow burn, with only maybe ten minutes to dry after rubbing out. Could’ve dried more but was tight on time. Took a few lights to get it going.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
University Flake is G&H Rum flake and it’s strong. Spun me out bad and I smoke a lot of VaPers and Kentucky/DFK.
it’s something like 70 percent air cured burley. It’s a stout smoke and too strong for me. I max out at medium nic. It’s not overly strong but it’s strong enough to be past medium IMo.

also everyone reacts to the nic in different tobaccos differently. Dark fired and Kentucky don’t effect me as bad as air cured burley.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Status
Not open for further replies.