PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesee75

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2013
Panama City Beach, FL
Good evening fellow smokers. Just bought a tin of Peterson's University Flake. Saving it for the weekend. Any suggestions. Rub it out or fold it? This will be my first flake and from some of the reviews it sounds like it has a good kick of vitamin N.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I smoked it three different ways: cube cut, folded, and fully rubbed. I thought the folded flake was superior,

but I must confess that in folding it I scuff-up the plug a bit for some separation of the flake. When I say

"superior" I mean that wonderful berry-like flavor seems easier to taste.

Jul 12, 2011
I normally cube cut all my flakes, but enjoy this blend with just a fold/stuff and smoked in a conical drilled chamber ( Stanwell 63M )

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If I was smoking outside in any kind of wind, I would fold and stuff. If I am sitting indoors then I cube cut. I think either way , just make sure it is dry enough. When wet, the flavors will be muted and it will be tougher to smoke. I really enjoy this blend for it's unique flavors. Let us know how you make out with it.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I usually smoke it indoors and cube cut it. I would fold it like Harris suggests if smoking outside in the wind. I have found that Irish Flake gets better after the opened tin sits for a while. I am really enjoying the second half the the tin more than the first half. It is strong but that is not a problem if you smoke it slowly.

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I take half a flak and form a ball in my palm and rubbing it in the palm, inserting the ball in the dedicated UF pipe. Happy puffin'!
If possible, try it in a brand new, unmoked pipe. That will turn your UF from a very good smoke into a superb smoke.

For flake tobaccos I prefere canadian style pipes, with a quite small bowl. My newest pipe for flakes in general is a Peterson's Barrel. It is cool pipe and a good smoker.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
I still have mixed feelings about this one. Sometimes it delivers a wonderful smoke, sometimes is just blah... I think drying is part of it so make sure it is dry enough. I have tried cube cut and rubbed, definitely it makes a difference but I wont be able to say which one is better.
I guess you get the fun of experimenting with it!
:puffpipe:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
dnietosi, are you keeping track of which pipe you smoked it in when it tastes great? I have found that certain sized and shaped pipes will make a big difference in many flakes.

Jul 12, 2011
@dnietosi - Flake don't give up that @&$)#%*^!? so easy :)
I have found about 6-12 hours for Pete UF, at 70F w/low humidity in area works best and as Cigrmaster states "the right pipe" , the one that makes this

blend sing for me is a dedicated Stanwell 63M ( which has a conical drilled chamber and is about a 3/4" diameter bowl

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
I wrote:

I take half a flak and form a ball in my palm and rubbing it in the palm, inserting the ball in the dedicated UF pipe.
As may of you prefer to cube cut the UF. I tried that. It is much much better than rubbing out. I'll try to cube all my flakes from now on, to test which method is bedst for the particular blend.

Aug 14, 2012
Since everyone makes a ritual and "procedure" out of the silliest things, lets set one up for University flake. First light some incense, or Frog Morton barrel staves. After that wrap leather thongs over your forearms. The thongs should hold little boxes with messages. The first box should say say "a woman is only a woman, but University flake is a smoke." On the other arm the box should have the message "screw Bloomberg." If the first box is not on the left forearm, and the second box on the right forearm, the ritual is useless. Then turn over the can on the floor. After invoking the God of Nicotine, summon a herd of reindeer. Invoke the spirits by moving your hands, palms out, in a circular motion several times, starting with the thumbs together. This has to be done facing the flake. Then do the same facing the reindeer. This will confuse them and cause them to trample the flake. Whilst they do this shout "oooyah" three times. Cheerleaders with pom poms should jump up and down in the background. Then, and only then will it be fit to smoke. Discard any reindeer poop first.

Or, you could just stuff the flake in your pipe and smoke it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I think Foggymountain has the right idea, but I prefer cube cutting and using a fresh corncob with a smaller chamber. I only smoke a half a flake at a time because of the nicotine hit. Irish Flake will put me on the floor, lol. One thing I have found with University Flake is that if it gets too dry, it loses that plum note, so I like to keep it kind of moist.

Status
Not open for further replies.