PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
I stopped by the B&M close to where I live and the tobaccoist there was telling me how two tobacco companies were going under and that Petersons was no longer being sold in the US.Has anyone else heard anything about this or is it just BS?

letsgodowntherabbithole

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2011
I sure hope it's not true, that would be a huge loss. After doing a quick google search here I have not found anything to back that claim up. Who knows though, your B&M would know more quicker then most people would I think.

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
Ive been doing the same search with no results,thats why I posted the question here.Im hoping that he is dead wrong this time.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
How reliable is this salesman, nyed? I've run into this brick wall more than once with people who just don't know anything and make up a story merely to save themselves the trouble of actually selling you something. That being said, if Peterson is no longer distributing in the US I'm going to have to order a couple more pounds; they're my faves so far.

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
To be honest,Im not too sure.I just started to frequent his shop a year ago.

Hopefully hes wrong because if he isnt I just might have to use the damn credit card and I really dont want to.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
If you ask Peterson's about this, then you will get the facts.

http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/contact-us.html

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
Thanks Fred.......I already sent the e-mail to them earlier and am waiting for a response.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Smokingpipes.com seems to have just recieved an order. All the items that have been out of stock are now back on the Peterson tinned tobacco page.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
Well I know who I'll come calling on next year when I want to barter out a year-old tin of the stuff romeo.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Due to the ban on profanity, I will say male bovine excrement. I have a direct line via Skype to Angela Fortune of customer relations, Tony Whelan, floor supervisor and Tom Palmer himself and no one has said any thing about that.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I too have unfortunately had the experience of being told silly, untrue stories by stupid clerks in retail tobacconists. The guy probably didn't feel like placing an order, or didn't have the budget to do so, and made up the story to justify his lack of Peterson tobacco.
Please note:
1. Peterson tobaccos are made by the Orlik factory. I saw them being made there with my own eyes over the Summer. Orlik is huge and they make a lot of tobacco brands for a lot of companies.
Sometimes some tobaccos will run out in the supply chain before it is their turn to run production again.
2. Just this past week, Ashton Distributors, the U.S. agent / importer of Peterson Pipes and Tobaccos emailed me. He asked for the current advertising rates as they are having a meeting with the Director of Peterson later this month to plan their 2011 marketing budget.
Shame on that guy in the B&M you went to.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
These rumors erupt so frequently that the misinformation pipeline has

become predictable... Last time, it was the one about Peterson not sending

anymore P-Lip Pipes to the US. As Kevin has pointed out, there are a host

of reasons for this male bovine excrement, as ChuckW so appropriately pointed out.

nyed001

Might Stick Around
Feb 1, 2011
Thanks for all the information Kevin,Im hoping that you guys are right.I dont think Ill be going back to him again,guess Ill just have to keep ordering via internet.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I hate it when people tell you the wrong information just because either
1) They don't know

2) They can't stock it for whatever reason

3) Any number of dumb ass excuses that they come up with.
They need to just stop with the bull and tell their customers the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.