PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
A while back someone mentioned that they would be reviewing the whole Peterson line of tobacco . In my never ending quest to taste all the blends good and bad , I swooped up 7 tin sampler . The first tin in the stack is Sunset Breeze . A blend of VBC with amaretto . The blend packs a nice punch without being overly agressive .The amaretto does not over power the fine tobacco . The Viginia is smooth and the burley only compliments the fine black cavendish . While the blend may not be for the timid , it is sure to reward the smoker who is willing to give it try . What other fine Peterson blends are you enjoying .

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Very Merry Christmas 2009: Possibly my favorite Christmas blend I've tried yet. Very tasty aromatic. Vanilla hit me first then I picked up a bit of bourbon, last a tiny bit of apple. Burnt great and came ready to smoke. Room note was pleasant as well. I really enjoy it.
Special Reserve 2010: Thought this was very good as well. I again first picked up vanilla first. Right after I got a nice nougat flavor and nice fruity taste. Burnt well and stayed lit the whole smoke. Once again didn't have to let it dry out at all.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I smoked University Flake yesterday. I forgot to post it in the what are you smoking thread, so 1 de-merit for me.
I didn't seal the tin well, and it dried out. It still smoked well, but lost some of the nice berry flavor. The tin aroma now smells like iced-tea. It was still pretty good.
Peterson Irish Flake is reserved for when I can't sleep or feel like watching the room spin.
Sherlock Holmes is pretty good when I am in the mood for a somewhat Danish-style aro. I have Peterson Gold, but I am not that fond of it.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
We have a tasting going on over on the Peterson's sub forum on Smokers Forums. One tobacco a month. I still have 12 varieties to go through.
Irish Flake. Tin nose. Anise? Raisins? Maybe. A fresh small like Spring on a meadow.m The taste. Mild and rather one dimensional but not in a bad way. Not for the novice, the nicotine is definatly there, almost on a par with the brown ropes. I'm keeping some of this around. I can see it occaisionally taking the place of my after dinner black ropes.
Special Reserve 2010. SUPRISE! This is NOT your typical aromatic. Open the tin and a Milky Way candy bar slaps you in the face. Caramel and nougat. There is high grade tobacco in there too. Stuff a new cob and set it alight. Dessert! Vanilla ice cream with caramel sauce. Good stuff with a room note that may allow me back into the rest of the house with a lit pipe. No tongue bite at all although it will develope a bitterness if pushed. It comes in a 100 gram tin only.
University Flake. Now here is a tobacco that I can live with. I've twelve tins of this stuff. Fresh mown hay and berries. Not strawberries but currents. Again, kind of one dimensional but good high grade tobacco with a medium flavor. The room note is pure tobacco due, in my opinion, to the burley. Again, not for the novice.
So far, I've liked everything I've tried.

condorguy

Lurker
Jun 4, 2010
If you like your sweet aromatics, I highly recommend Peterson's Sweet Kilarney for its caramel-y taste and coconut-y aroma. Got a new tin the other day and I'm already half-way through. Delicious.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I have not tried any of the Peterson blends, but I plan to. I went into a cigar shop the other day and found out that they were a Peterson dealer. For the future. That is the great thing about pipe smoking, you can never try them all.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I kind of gave up on aromatics after I started smoking nonaromatics. But, I have always dreamed of an aromatic made with high quality tobacco. I too have never smoked any of the Petersons, but their aromatics seem to offer what I seek. I heard my wallet actually shrieking in terror as I was reading these posts.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I've had University Flake, and it's a great medium flavored burley Virginia flake made with awesome care.
It's worth noting that I think there is more Burley than VA in the mix and the nocotine level is pretty healthy if you're not up to the challenge or haven't eaten in awhile.

jcosmoasp

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Peterson's P3 is a bit of a chore, what with it being a plug, but well worth the effort. I let it dry for a day after removing the cellophane wrapper, as it seemed too moist at that point. Two pipes later, I really think it's worth the effort.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I was recently gifted a tin of Special Reserve 2011 by the company and have yet to try it. The package arrived yesterday and it has been too cold outside to sit and enjoy a nice bowl.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I am a self declared Pete Nut. I love the pipes and tobaccos. I started off with Sweet Killarney and Irish Whiskey. Love the caramel flavoring of Sweet Killarney. I like Irish Whiskey, but I'm not in love with it totally. Then I moved on to Old Dublin, a latakia blend, which tastes alright but if I haven't eaten within an hour of smoking it it highly upsets my stomach. Recently I picked up a tin of Sherlock Holmes and Connoisseur's Choice. I like Holmes a lot. Some say it has an apricot aroma, I feel it smells more like the raspberry truffle candies my fiance gets at See's Candies. It smokes evenly and always to the bottom of the bowl for me. My favorite far and away has to be Connoisseur's Choice though. I love the mixture of the tropical fruit and rum flavorings. It has a great taste, especially with a cold glass of Baileys, and leaves an amazing aroma as well. I have DeLuxe Mixture and Luxury blend on order and I'll post about those as soon as I have a few bowls of each.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
I like Sunset Breeze,the Amaretto is there in the background and leaves a nice aftertaste.I have tried Old Dublin but I prefer Sam Gawith for Latakia blends.I might send for some P's Connoisseur's Choice

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Sunset Breeze and Sweet Killarney (so far my all-around favorite tinned tobacco) are absolutely great! I have Connoseuirs Choice which I haven't opened yet but can't wait to.

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
Irish Flake - the new batch is chocolatey. Smoke 1 flake if you haven't eaten anything, several if you had a full dinner :D
University Flake is also nice but has a lot of Burley.

westcoastrich

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2011
I like the peterson tobacco's, some of my favorites are the Sherlock Homes with it's Burley and Virginia blend, the De Luxe Mixture, the Luxury Blend, and of course the Irish Oak. I usually have a tin of each open to brighten up my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.