PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I'm going to be selling my Graco straight sandblasted pipe in the next while and I've been debating what to replace it with. At this point I've narrowed it down to a new Brigham (2 dot straight billiard) or a Peterson System 317.

I have a little Wellington pipe, very similar to the Peterson shape and it has the well design. My Wellington gurgles once moisture has collected in the well, I HATE that. I was reading about the 317 and I saw in a description for a seller it said that the where the well is specifically placed and designed in the pipe that you don't deal with the gurgling annoyance.
Is this true? I'm sure there are system users here, maybe some 317 specific. Does the gurgle still happen?

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I have an "Eire" era Pete 307 it does not gurgle. Pull the stem out and pour the moisture out when done. A lot nicer than messing with a filter.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I have one. It's a fairly small-bowled pipe. 30 minute smoke tops if you go slow with a flake. It does not gurgle if you do your part and swab/paper towel/dump out the moisture from the well after each smoke.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I definitely clean my pipes good. Does the pressure fit of the 317 mean I can pull the stem out while I'm in the midst of smoking it? Or is that what the military mount is? And thanks for the responses

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I don't own a Peterson, but the Brigham filters are very non-fussy and they perfectly whisk away moisture with no gurgle at all. The only "fussiness" is rinsing the filter in hot water after you smoke and then let it air dry before using it again. Sounds a lot less fussy than cleaning out a well with crud after each smoke.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I have a 312, which is just a bigger 317, and I can't remember ever getting a gurgle out of it. I can also say the same for my 317 sized Wellington, sorry to hear yours doesn't work as well.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
+1 roth, and not necessarily of any fault to the OP. Once I bought a used System that was obviously abused through little or no cleaning ( major tar buildup in the well ) that didn't get with the program even after a salt and alcohol to the moisture trap and kept gurgling; I ended up sending it back into the 'Bay ....

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Have three peterson system pipes, as stated the 317 i think is the small bowl. But the system is designed so that you dont get the moisture. they are all great smokers.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I have a recently-made Standard System 317, and have had absolutely no gurgle or sour taste problems. You may, however, be a bit shocked the first time you remove the stem and clean out the stummel, at how darkened your pipe cleaner comes out. But the good (and bad) news is that most of this is not tobacco liquid residue, but stain. So you may want to clean out that stummel a bit before the first smoke (although I abhor using chemical substances on my pipes - maybe a bit of bourbon or rum?)

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
Thanks for the information guys, I have a bit to ponder now between a new Brigham or the Peterson. I should add that my go to pipe is a Brigham.

I'm also going to give a good cleaning to my Wellington and see if I can't get that well cleaned out.

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
But you do need to take the time and focus. Read the suggestions in this thread one more time.

I did read the comments, am I missing something?

I'm not worried about the Peterson gurgle so much anymore, so now I've got to decide in the next monthish of which pipe to pull the trigger on.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I have 4 system pipes. A 303, 307? (Its not marked), and two XL315's. I find one of the smooth 15's gurgle if I'm doing a lot of relighting. They do all get filthy though.
I honestly don't notice them smoking any "cooler" the a non system pipe.
Let us see what you get!

Status
Not open for further replies.