PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
While catching up on the posts I'd missed in the Pictures of Your Pipes thread, someone asked how a Peterson's System pipe works.
Page12.jpg

The above images show a cutaway drawing of the pipe. Notice the well in the bottom of the mortice or under the bowl in the straight pipe. Also take note of the extension to the tenon and its relationship to the smoke hole. This relationship causes turbulance and that turblance causes moisture to fall out of the smoke stream and into the well giving a cooler,drier and milder smoke much like a gourd calabash. The well also captures any saliva that may be drawn back down the stem, making it virtually impossible to get any of that nasty, wet tobacco juice into the mouth.
A contributor also mentioned his pipe going sour after just a couple of bowls. This can be prevented using the same cleaning methods one would use on any pipe.

This is what I do. Upon finishing a bowl, I seperate the stem and bowl and dump the well. Peterson's System Pipes are Army mounts and, as such, can be taken apart while still warm without the worry of loosening the stem. This prevents any fluids from setting in the pipe and turning rancid. Next I use a extra fluffy cleaner to clean and swab the tenon area, pushing the cleaner as far as it will go into the stem. Next comes a regular pipe cleaner inserted into the bit and drawn out the tenon. This removes any gunk that the first cleaner may have pushed up into the bit.

Now on to the bowl. I use a Q-tip and twist it through the smoke hole to remove any tar and moisture. I then swap the well dry with a Q-tip and reassembnle the pipe then return it to the rack to await its next turn. I have pipes that haven't seen the S/A treatment for 5 or 6 years and haven't gone sour yet. I can't say as much for my other pipes whether they are Peterson's or other makes.

I hope this helps some of you get the same enjoyment and pleasure from your Peterson's that I do.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Thanks Chuck, I am considering a P System Pipes. I am spending too much money on charcoal filters.

sneakypete

Lurker
Dec 13, 2009
I myself have just acquired a Peterson System 303 ebony. love it so far. my third Peterson, and my first System.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Chuck,

I hope I didn't Pi** you off. My sincerest apologies if I did.

It's just labor intensive and needs a lot of rest.

I love the way it smokes.

I just can't smoke it as much as I would like to.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Pstlpkr, you didn't whiz me off. To be honest, I was afraid I might whiz you off. Thats why I didn't mention any names. And you are right, the Peterson's System pipes are more labor intensive. 27 of my 61 Peterson's are System pipes, so they do get alot of rest between smokes.

Another thing I've found that helps is I dedicate my pipes. My large pipes are dedicated to English style blends while I have other smaller dedicated to black ropes and still others to Va. flakes.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Chuck,

No you didn't "whiz" me off.

I generally smoke a latikia blend in it because it is such a moisture collector.

I now use a twisted paper towel to soak up the moisture in the well, I tried the Q'Tip method you suggested and then found that a paper towel worked very well. Maybe that will let me put in the "line-up" a little more. I have only two Peterson pipes, the 307 and a Donegal Rocky 106. I purchased the 106 first and loved it.

I like a curved pipe, so I bought the 307.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
The P-lip is part and parcel of the System pipe. To me, it isn't a real System pipe unless it has the P-lip.

Status
Not open for further replies.