PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeude28

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2016
I acquired a system pipe and have been cleaning it but not sure why but the draw is a little tighter then my other Peterson Plip pipes. The stem has a wider section towards the bottom and wondering how I can clean it.Is there another way of cleaning instead of using a pipe cleaner. I'm just wondering if the wider part is actually a chamber or is the inside of the stem just a straight tube if that makes sense. I checked the draft hole as well and it's clear so not sure why the draw is tight. Can someone help as I have searched here and google and no luck

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Does it look like this?

20190709_113438-150x112.jpg

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Sorry for the duplicate, but the pic in the previous post is too small and I couldn't edit it.

p2-425x600.jpg

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
What's the purpose of the really wide part at the bottom then??
Two reasons: 1. looks

2. Is the military mount needs a wider taper at the end so it flairs out and tappers back down for the friction fit

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
does it pass a pipe cleaner? You could try a bristle pipe cleaner to in case there is some crud in there.

pipeude28

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2016
does it pass a pipe cleaner? You could try a bristle pipe cleaner to in case there is some crud in there.
pipe cleaners pass thru easily . Just wondering if it's normal for a system pipe to have a tighter draw compared to other p lip petersons

gerryp

Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Sorry to be Captain Obvious if you've already done this, but I'd start with the bristle pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol and give the airhole from the shank to the bowl a good scrubbing. After checking mine, I think that's probably the most likely spot you'd get a bunch of gunk if the pipe was neglected by the precious owner. The stem collects stuff where it bends as well as right before the button hole, which is angled unlike non-p-lip buttons, so give that a good once-over.
If it was me, I'd do those things and see how it smokes. It might be fine even if it seems a little tight now. Peterson isn't known for 100% consistency so it might have been like that when it left the factory.
One more thing from Captain Obvious: Remove the stem and draw on the pipe from the shank. If it doesn't feel tight, the problem is the stem.

pipeude28

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2016
One more thing from Captain Obvious: Remove the stem and draw on the pipe from the shank. If it doesn't feel tight, the problem is the stem.
so i pulled off the stem and blew into it and it's tight so what can i do besides the pipe cleaners??

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
so i pulled off the stem and blew into it and it's tight so what can i do besides the pipe cleaners??
did you blow into the stem or the shank?
If the shank airflow is tight, maybe a picture would help? Even on a system pipe, you should be able to see from the top of the shank, through the draw hole, into the chamber. The bristle cleaners can also be used to clean up the draw hole as well. You can also re-drill the draw hole, but I have never done so.

pipeude28

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2016
did you blow into the stem or the shank?
If the shank airflow is tight, maybe a picture would help? Even on a system pipe, you should be able to see from the top of the shank, through the draw hole, into the chamber. The bristle cleaners can also be used to clean up the draw hole as well. You can also re-drill the draw hole, but I have never done so.
I blew into both . I even used a drill bit on the shank and when I started seeing a littl wood from the pipe coming out I stopped. I blem into the stem and it was slightly tight. I'm so confused as to what to do . any help would be appreciated. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.