banner

Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Peterson System Pipe

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeude28

Login to Send PM

I recently bought a used peterson system pipe. I've never owned one before. I reamed it out and cleaned with ever clear but I"m noticing the draw is tight. Is this a characteristic of the pipe or is there something wrong?? I looked at the draft hole and seems to be fine. ANy thoughts or help please

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All depends what you mean by tight.

Tighter than your other pipes?
    Too tight for you to smoke easily?

Does a bushy pipe cleaner pass through the draft hole relatively easily?

I have some Petes that easily take a thick pipe cleaner and others that need the standard ones.

Is it possible that there is some sort of blockage or a build up that is constricting the draft hole?

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

paulfg

Login to Send PM

If its a plip some of them do have quite a restricted draw for me I find but as bassbug said they do vary

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry, just noticed you did check the draft hole.

Now, this may sound extreme, but....find a drill bit that just fits the draft hole. Push and pull it through the hole while twisting it and applying a bit of pressure to the walls of the hole. You're taking thousandths of inches off, its a slow process, but it works.

Don't forget that once you've enlarged the hole, there's no going back

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If its a plip some of them do have quite a restricted draw for me I find but as bassbug said they do vary

And well they should

a 317 needs a different draft hole than a 307

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some of the older, smaller system pipes incorporated a condenser/chimney/stinger that had a too small draft hole. I have a gorgeous 1980s 337s System Premier that I finally threw up my hands and sent to Sallynoggin for a new, modern style stem. Instead, they replaced the old condenser with a larger one. Smokes well now.

Try the draw without the condenser and even smoke it without to see if that helps.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've noticed that on some of my pipes, when I clean them I get the occasional tuft off a cleaner that can drastically reduce the draft when you pull on it. I even had a cleaner pass right over it after running another through. The only way I got it was by using a drill bit that was slightly smaller than the hole and spun it inside the stem a bit to make it grab the tuft. Kind of annoying, but the drill bit trick worked. Not saying that's your problem, but was one of mine in the past, just to throw it out there.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've cleaned a few up lately and the stems get very clogged not so much blocked but the side become narrowed and restricted.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The p-lip is part of the system, a condenser (aka...metal thingy on the other end of the stem) is too, on de luxe models.

The plip narrows to 1.5mm at the mouth end. If your pipe has a condenser tip, try unscrewing it...I find this largely eliminates the feeling of a tight draft.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeude28

Login to Send PM

Hello again. My pipe is a plip and I'm not sure how I could fit a drill bit in a bent pipe? can someone guide me?

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The drill bit idea was for the draft hole, not the stem.

For the stem, use a pipe cleaner dipped in alcohol to scrub. I don;t know of any way to make the airflow any greater...unless maybe you make the hole at the button bigger, but I'm not sure that will help.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeude28

Login to Send PM

Hello again I should have specified. I don't know how to use a drill bit for the draft hole

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

From my previous post...

Now, this may sound extreme, but....find a drill bit that just fits the draft hole. Push and pull it through the hole while twisting it and applying a bit of pressure to the walls of the hole. You're taking thousandths of inches off, its a slow process, but it works.

Don't forget that once you've enlarged the hole, there's no going back [:oops:]

Hopefully someone else that has done this will also join in here and maybe add some words of wisdom

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jiminks, supdog, georged, jfred, redglow, elpfeife, ben88, trubka2, jaytex969