Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
A Little Restoration Project I undertook with a Peterson Supreme I got in an Estate Lot. As you can see it clearly had seen better days when I got it
Do0pjD6XgAAU6wb.jpg

Do0pCNzXUAA1Ds-.jpg

Do0o-ZaX0AE8gBr.jpg

I started with cleaning out the shank wich was so blocked with tars and stuff that the Stem would not fit rigth anymore. After what felt like an eternity of cleaning
Do0wgFRX0AMupSa.jpg

What you can see in the Background is roughly 1/3 of the Pipe Cleaners necessary to get this back in working order. Next was the bowl itself, starting with some 3000 Grid Sandpaper and wetsanding very carefully to remove any lava on the rim and all the dirt that had settled in.
Do0yiaDX0AAXoZm.jpg

The Results:
Do0zs8VXUAAE3q2.jpg

Do0zq48W0AAdwcA.jpg

The next step was the inside of the bowl. There was not much Cake but that was exctly the problem. One of the walls had begun to develop a serious case of beginning burn out with visible spider webbing, so I cleaned out what I could and gave the entire inside of the bowl a coat of a mixture of Water, Waterglas and medical grade charcoal. After letting it dry, a final polish and a coat of olive oil and:
Do1SxXHU8AI4XPH.jpg

Do1S99LXUAAPVE8.jpg

Do1TGc8WwAAG54u.jpg

Do1TU0bXsAIF2LD.jpg

I am kind off proud of this one, as I first thougth I would be unable to get this even near presentable.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Look at that birdseye. You did a pretty job, and waded through a lot of gunk to do it. Nice job. Bet it smokes well, since obviously a previous owner thought so.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
I have not smoked it yet, as I am giving the Bowlcoating a few days to dry,will report back when I do^^

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Wow that looks great. You should be proud of this one. Hopefully it lasts you a long time

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Supreme's are always worth the effort! I use a small diameter nylon brush, dipped repeatedly in alcohol, to clean the shank. It's more effective then 100 pipe cleaners and a lot less time consuming.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
I am still trying to descide what to smoke in it first, but I think Petersons 3P would be a nice start in its new life. A fitting match. Their (maybe) best tobacco in one of their highest Grade Pipes( As I understand it these normaly retail at around 300$? Well I got it for 15.^^)

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Olive oil is on the one hand an easy way to enliven the briar and grain and when combined with 8000 Grid Sandpaper can also be used to remove some ligth oxidation and give the stem a shine, without worrying about any toxicity but you should be careful as Olive Oil can go rancid and... thats not good, lets leave it at this.^^ Sometimes I also use antique wax and similiar products as they are easy to use and usualy produce nice results. For Stems I usualy use household bleach to remove more severe Oxidation. Someone once mentioned to me that this can weaken Vulcanite stems but I have cleaned dozens of estates that way and never encountered a problem. Also after 1/2 an hour in a bleach bath you can be sure that the stem is completly sterile.

Migth not be the most orthodox thing to do but it works.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd suggest mineral oil over olive oil. Won't go rancid, and it perks up vulcanite stems right good in addition to shining the bowl (and may feed the briar a tad.)

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Mineral Oil sounds like a way safer idea^^. What would you recommend? Liquid paraffin ?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Food grade mineral oil. Pharmacies and grocery stores in the US should have it. It's also sold as a laxative.

Liquid paraffin may have additives, or it could be synonymous with mineral oil- I am not familiar with that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.