PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Since Pete makes so many lines, most of which tend to be affordable and favor bent shapes, their premium ones don't get much exposure. Especially when the specimen is a straight, or doesn't have something eye-catchy like an ornate wind cap.
Here's one that's about as plain as a pipe can be, yet is indulgent at the same time. Super-deep color (the pics don't do it justice), gold band, and "granite grain" (super tight end grain that's so dense it almost looks like stone).
With all the Pete Love around here, I thought it was worth posting "just because." :D
P1010534.jpg

P1010537.jpg

txpiper07

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2017
That is a classically beautiful pipe! The 106 is my favorite shape too, it seems like a perfect amount of meatiness and thickness for a well balanced billiard. That grain is incredible too.

Jan 8, 2013
It's a lovely Pete. Hard to tell from the photo, but is it a 106? I've got a thing for the 106. Since I now have two of them, I've been looking at almost nothing else when browsing online.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Petes have their detractors but I'm not one of them. As a rule I find you get what you pay for. Their consumer lines are quality consistent with the cost and their premium grades are excellent pipes. Many of their shape are unique to the brand and quite attractive. I don't think any other "factory" pipe does a better job with bulldogs. George, your absolutely right that pipe is "simple elegance" personified.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Billiards have an innate simplicity that is hard to beat. Everything you need and no frills, except maybe this terrific band.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Simple but elegant. How much does she weigh? (super tight grain suggests to me a tad heavier than other briar of the same volume.) (?)

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Just now put it on the weighifier --- 50.6 grams
(exactly 6" long; bowl height 1.94")

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Supreme's don't get the love they should. That's a great example, well, except for that funny looking stem.
I only have one Supreme, it's a big'un, an XL90. I bought this one from Mark Irwin and it will be in his book as an example of that shape (which was originally the 9BC).

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That's a great example, well, except for that funny looking stem.
:lol:
If you want truly funny looking Pete stems, Al, why, step right up! :mrgreen:
Here's a Pete billiard with an interchangeable lovat-style stem. Why? Well... why not? :nana:
P1010551.jpg

P1010548.jpg

P1010547.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Since the logo inlays are different styles, I have to think this pipe with two stems wasn't originally created with both. Is that right?
That's correct.
The longer one is the original, the shorter one was made after the fact.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very interesting, I can't say that I've seen that kind of metal tipped tenon on a Pete, what's that story?
I'm sure that George D button is a lot more comfy! (speaking from experience)

Jan 8, 2013
Birdseye and cross-grain are underappreciated these days.
There's actually quite a few grain junkies here, myself included. Grain is an important factor in whether or not I buy a pipe.
Al that Xl90 is a beauty. The shape was my first ever Peterson, and I still love my XL90's. Oddly enough I've yet to purchase a Supreme although I've looked at several. It looks like yours has some wonderful grain. :clap:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Very interesting, I can't say that I've seen that kind of metal tipped tenon on a Pete, what's that story?
It's a characteristic of Peterson's "Royal Irish" line:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/index.cfm?tag=69

Status
Not open for further replies.