PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Anyone here have experience with the Peterson Spigot series? I don't own a Peterson pipe, so I was thinking about changing that.
I saw a nice looking bulldog shape:
002-029-38395.6659.jpg

002-029-38395_1.2439.jpg

It comes with two stems, one being amber. From what I can tell, the price of the amber stem is about $200 +- when looking at other Peterson "150" shapes with silver. Ok, fine. It looks like an interesting pipe.
In the past, I've had problems with Army mount pipes and moisture. I can't abide a pipe that "smokes wet" and have to get rid of them. I'm curious if anyone who has smoked these spigots has experienced moisture issues? In particular, gurgling... which is about all I really care about.
I'd be smoking this pipe regularly if I bought it, so if it gurgles, it's obviously a problem because I expect this pipe is not quite at that value on the estate market and I'd be taking a significant loss. On the other hand, I like the look of the pipe. If these tend to smoke just fine, I think this might be the Peterson for me.
Any feedback on the spigot system?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had especially good luck with the mid-price range Petersons, and a complaint was recently posted on a high-end Pete, but I don't know that that recommends for or against.

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
My peterson spigot smokes really dry, never had any problems with it at all. On the contrary, I find them less likely to gurgle than another pipe, as any moisture will just run in the gap so it does not hinder airflow and you can then wipe it out after the smoke. It is a bit like a mini system pipe.

Jan 8, 2013
I have silver spigots, but not amber stemmed. I love them. Great smokers, and I like being able to take them apart to clean them well directly after smoking. The one in your photo is fantastic!

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Anthony- I was wondering if you had something like this in your collection. You seem to be well versed in Peterson pipes and I was curious to know what you know about these.
I tried looking for this shape with the silver and amber at other vendors to compare prices, but I couldn't find it. They claim it is 20% discounted already. Oh yes, I make no bones about asking for a discount when I buy pipes. They won't budge.
From what I can tell, the amber stem is about $200, because you can get a normal stem with all the similar silver work for about that much less. This one goes for $568.
I feel myself getting sucked into their marketing! I think I would enjoy smoking an amber stem pipe, just for the historic value and unique/rare combination. Part of smoking a pipe, to me, is the aesthetics of having a nice looking pipe to smoke from. I'm vain in my pipe smoking, it seems. I just can't deny that I like looking at my pipes while I smoke them. I also don't have a bulldog shape, nor a Peterson. Two in one. And I was hoping, at this price point, that they selected some good briar and paid extra attention to the drilling. That's just wishful thinking though.
I try to keep the value in check. I've been on the fence with this one for awhile now. It's a hard shape/combination of material to compare with others. I don't like not having a baseline to compare to. We've been over the whole value thing in other threads, but still, I like to know which ballpark I'm in.
Interesting to hear the spigots smoke well. It's kept the idea alive... We'll see if I pick it up before someone else does. Tough call. And tough that those spigots are calling me. I hadn't noticed them before.

Jan 8, 2013
Anthony- I was wondering if you had something like this in your collection.
I only wish I had one of those in my collection! Yours, being a Silver Spigot, Amber Stem, and Silver cap, I've seen them over $600 or more for the lighter (natural) stain. Yours, I wonder, with that walnut stain and stem combination, if it was originally intended as one of the Maker's Series of pipes. They were very limited... maybe yours was an accidental extra? One never knows :mrgreen: Otherwise, typically, I think the price for yours is right around that ballpark. 20% off seems just about right. Possibly found overseas for a little less, but not necessarily, and shipping might just bring it back up.
You seem to be well versed in Peterson pipes and I was curious to know what you know about these.
I'm still learning. Not sure I've even gotten past the tip of the iceberg. :mrgreen:
Edit To Add: Very similar Maker's Series Peterson. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peterson-Makers-Series-2018-No-3-of-10-Limited-Edition-Pipe/173706314081?hash=item2871b40161:g:81gAAOSwl1FcIMrF:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Makers Series are over the top! But, you can buy the dual stem (vulcanite/Amber combo) for about $400 if you want to forgoe the fancy box.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=261007

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=293096
I returned a $500 smooth, because it had too many flaws, so I recommend the sandblast models.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Damn Al, I was just starting to wrestle the PAD monster back into it's cage and then you show me a beautiful silver spigot, silver cap Pete...Argh...I'm trying to hold out for a hinged lid version, but this is making it really hard to! :rofl:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Beautiful pipe! I would love to own that one. I have a Peterson 87 army mount (not a spigot), and it smokes wonderfully. Like you, I will not smoke a pipe that tends to smoke wet / gurgle, and I am guilty of occasionally absent-mindedly smoking too fast which of course can lead to a nasty hot wet smoke. I won't keep a pipe that has trouble passing a cleaner. I love my army mount Pete and would not hesitate to buy another.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Anthony- Interesting find on the maker's series. Perhaps it is so... but, without the signatures and leather box, the price is not quite at the maker's mark. That's quite a hefty sum for a Peterson pipe. Thanks for the information.
Carolina- Seeing you were about to have a PAD meltdown, I did you a favour and picked it up. Now you can rest easy knowing it is in safe hands.
I'm going to be using the amber stem, I figure. It's the main reason I bought this one. I liked the size of the amber compared to some of the other offerings available right now. The silver work adds a little bit of flash that I'm unaccustomed to in my pipes.
Here's hoping it's drilled straight and doesn't gurgle. If anyone sees it for sale as an estate, it's only because it gurgles. So you can steer clear of that one lawdawg, if you see it on the interwebs. Looks like a lot of good reviews from the spigots though, so I took my chances. Took me about a week to decide. Longest deliberation over a pipe I've ever had.
I have to say... reading some of the horror stories about past Peterson pipes really gave me pause. Everyone who piled in here and defended the spigot line helped change that around. So damn you all if it's a gurgling miss-drilled mess! And a round of drinks on me if she smokes fine.
002-029-38395_4.6619.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
So damn you all if it's a gurgling miss-drilled mess!
:rofl: Congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing you post about this beauty when it arrives. And I'll bet it turns out to be a great smoker. I'm officially jealous! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.