Peterson "Special" Cased Set (Pre-Republic)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm not well versed in Peterson nomenclature, other than to determine a pre-Republic pipe. This cased, two-pipe set is stamped "Special". I can't find out anything on this grade. Even if the Special stamping isn't significant, I think someone did well getting two pre-Republic pipes for under $150/pipe.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PETERSON-039-S-SPECIAL-Briar-Pipes-w-Red-Case-Pre-Republic-Ireland-Excellent-/221522539391?autorefresh=true&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=k0MKj6Wu%252FW9hGoxfEOVfjxMo1wE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

May 31, 2012
I'm also not well-versed with Peterson.
I need to get a couple of these great old pipes!
At first I speculated that perhaps "special" referred to the light stain?

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/ireland/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=14662

...but that's probably incorrect.
But I did find a quote from Jim Lilley who said this:

To the best of my knowledge and experience there never has been a specific designated series of "special" pipes by Peterson.

I believe that the designation is used/applied very loosely to such pipes that may vary in style,quality or material from the mainstream established series of pipes.
I acquired several one-off pipes over the years that had been created by Peterson for 'special' occasions or events.In the main these pipes started out as particular series shapes but were made 'special' by unusual additional embellishment or styling , usually on special commission by customers,trade organisation or club groups.
...and that makes sense.
Jim has posted here in the past and I found a great old thread,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/petersons

...and he said this about Peterson's stamping:

The key word I would use in reference to Peterson stamping is 'idiosyncratic'.It is a mine field of inconsistency.There are many examples of pipes with confusing stamps.Peterson were very guilty of using old stamps,bowls and stems to use up older stock which had been on the shelves.

In regard to the Dublin and London stamping,such pipes starting with the Dublin before London were deemed to have originated in the Ireland factory.Those stamped with the London before Dublin were made in England.

I hope that helps.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Handsome pair. Makes me appreciate my Petersons, recent though they are.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Al,

Just like MLC stated from the quotes. Anything stamped Special was exactly that. It was a random stamping for pipes that stood out for having special grain, special size, special stain or stem material. Another very rare stamping that is seldom seen is a PL in script stamping on the bottom of the shank which will denote a pipe specially made by Paddy Larrigan and stamped by him personally. These were indeed unique pipes with exceptional grain made for only select individuals or personal friends.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That makes sense and is very interesting. Somewhere I read that the first city stamped denotes where it was made. So, I guess this might not really belong in the British section...but I'll let it slide!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I was looking at these as well, but got a dunhill the day these closed and couldn't justify what these were going for. They are lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.