PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyh

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
I'm a new pipe smoker, started out the 1:st january this a year after my New Years vow.

So far I've been buying pipes in the 80-100 usd range to get a few pipes while starting.

I'm now looking to buy my 7:th pipe to complete my first 7 day rotation and I've been looking at the Tan silver spigot.

Since i cant see the pipe with my own eyes i wonder a few things:

Does all spigots now come with petersons dry system? There's no info about it but i recall i've read it somewere.

Is the 69 shape a good good bent shape to start with? I only have billiards today but looking to get my first bent and i'm sort of limited in the shape choices when it comes to the tan version.

Do you think its worth the 225 usd?
Thanks

jimmyh

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
Hey Coalsmoke and thanks.
This is not the exact pipe as mine will be special ordered upon request however it is the same shape and model and the pipe is new.
002-029-18932_zpsf927ab7c.jpg

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Welcome Jimmy. I own several Petes and I like them all. I will say that my most expensive Pete cost me about $165. I've gotten some excellent deals on ebay.
IMHO $225 for that pipe seems a bit higher than I would have expected so maybe do some price comparisons first (be sure to check out James Fox/Dublin, they ship to the U.S. too)
As for spigots, not all are system pipes. I have several spigots and none are system pipes.
As for Peterson bents, I am mainly a billiard man myself, so I cannot comment on them directly. I can say that several on the forum have stated that their bents do not easily pass a pipe cleaner - but that this is not unusual for a Peterson bent.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
From the Peterson website:

The Peterson Spigot is characterized by a sterling silver covering on the tapered end of the mouthpiece which compliments the sterling silver band of the pipe. The Spigot style evolved from the practice of soldiers in earlier centuries who repaired broken pipes by sliding a used cartridge case over the shank and reinserting the mouthpiece.

Some spigots are systems but not all. Spigot pipes are usually a higher quality pipe and grade briar. That Walnut spigot 999 on smoking pipes "looks" like it could have a system in it but it may not. Regardless the military style connection is nice - you can clean the pipe out during a smoke if you have to.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/what-exactly-is-a-spigot#post-565498

jimmyh

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
The pipe will be bought brand new from 4noggins.

I normaly buy my pipes from the UK but i cant find the tan sandblasted anywhere but from smokingpipes, cupojoes and 4 noggins, tho rich will special order it for me.

I'm still a bit to new in pipesmoking and inexperienced imo to buy such a pipe estate.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
The guys have given you some great advice. If it's a silver spigot you want, then a silver spigot will probably make you happy. I've got a few pipes I overpaid for or didn't need (I mean hey my older ones smoked fine) but there was something about them I wanted. (I just bought a Deluxe Peterson that fits that bill)
Getting back to your comments about being new and estates...
If you are ready to look at estates folks like Briar Blues, MKELAW, Marty Pulver's, and Smoking Pipes are the places to look.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
My experience with the silver spigot was it has a tendency to come apart...by itself...while smoking. The silver tenon doesn't bind as tightly as vulcanite. Looks pretty but has that functional flaw.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
My experience with the silver spigot was it has a tendency to come apart...by itself...while smoking. The silver tenon doesn't bind as tightly as vulcanite. Looks pretty but has that functional flaw.
I agree - I just added a Peterson silver spigot and it seems like you have to jam it in or hold it with two hands to be sure. The connection starts ok but works out slowly as you move. Definitely not go for someone who holds it in their teeth. It is currently my most expensive but least loved pipe. I hope I have better luck with the Dunhill I ordered.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
I have a silver spigot 999 and it is a system pipe. While Peterson alludes the silver and gold mounted pipes being better quality briar my pipe has some visible fills that can bee seen under the finish. I have never had a problem with the pipe becoming loose or coming apart while smoking. All in all its a fair pipe, it was a bit over priced looking back on it, but it remains to be a decent smoker.

jimmyh

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
Thank you all for your inputs and advices about the spigot.

I've mailed and ordered it in the 69 shape so now its a weeks waiting till i get it.
Any recommendation on what to break it in with?

I mostly smoke Escudo, Dunhill ndr and Dunhill flake but would like to try a new va, va/per for a new pipe.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Congrats!
For something a little saucy and tangy I'd give McCelland's Beacon or Tudor Castle a whirl.
Or if you don't care for McCelland Virginias...Peterson makes a good VaPer with a bit of burley in Irish Oak.

jimmyh

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
2db650d7-ecc6-422c-b027-22e48430a6e3_zps20055884.jpg
[/URL]
Yesterday it arrived, or thuesday but couldnt pick it up then.

Impressive delivery, paid the order on friday and it was shipped out of the US in the evening and arrived to Sweden on thuesday.

I've had 2 smokes so far in it and will be breaking it in with Dunhill flake. Smokes cool and dry, the taste i have to wait to comment on untill it's broken in.

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
Jimmy,
Glad to hear you received the pipe safe and sound. Sounds as if you're pretty happy with your purchase........you should be. It's a sweet pipe!!
Thanks for the business and if I can help you with anything else, please let me know.
Rich Gottlieb

4noggins.com

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
My wife bought me a Peterson Irish Royal #5 for my birthday. What a beautiful silver spigot.

Status
Not open for further replies.