Peterson Silver Mounted Army has Arrived! (And It's Quirky...)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Well it finally arrived from way overseas, and turns out it's a 102. I've been wanting one of these small billiards for some time, I'm incredibly jazzed that it's a 102 and not a 106. This is my first sandblasted Peterson, and I've got to say I actually love the finish. It probably doesn't show in my terrible pictures but there is some nice ring grain on portions of the flanks.
62d34ec7-9ac0-4431-a441-3f51555e6abd-600x450.jpg

8c4c38cc-ac87-49c4-88ea-ca8066146876-600x450.jpg

This pipe does have a few quirks to it, though. If you can see in the picture below, the stamping on the bottom of the shank is pretty damn wonky. The "102" is so deep and jagged that it looks like "101" unless you turn it at just the right angle, then you can make out what it actually says.
f95b285d-2002-44cf-8b43-9c040c552679-600x450.jpg

The hallmarks are also somewhat interesting to me. For starters, they're TINY. I have 20/20 vision and I can hardly make out what it says. The "O" appears to correspond to the year 2000 which is awesome, this came to me unsmoked. However, if you look very closely you can see a distinct dot in the middle of the letter, which I don't see appear on the hallmark charts. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, and it's simply a byproduct of the stamping process itself. Additionally, the band is ever so slightly deformed and elongated on the bottom edge beneath the hallmarks, which I've never seen on any of my other silver bands.
bbe8e2e0-bf27-4893-a399-b871e74f36a4-600x372.jpg

These minor cosmetic oddities aside, this little beauty smokes fantastically well. The drilling is top notch, a perfectly cool and dry smoke when I broke it in last night with a 2/3 bowl of Peterson's Perfect Plug. For $75 I think I did well on this one. I think my next pipe might be another 102, it's just the perfect size for my smoking needs. Cheers!
08609a64-8f89-4e0c-a92e-be4c0372afa4-600x450.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Definitely a nice pipe for $75...well done!
No yellow stem? That's ok. Not every pipe has to be a yellow stem. :nana:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A good small pipe with a sufficient bowl is a wonderful thing, and this one has some character despite a few quirks, as you call them. Since you bought it to smoke, at a good price, they hardly matter.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
scloyd I know! I was sorely tempted to buy a Kapp Royal, but I find my growing collection is yellow stem heavy, so I thought a change would be nice. I wanted something simple and classic, and this fits the bill just right.
mso489 I couldn’t agree more, I love these smaller bowls. My last two pipes were 120’s, solely because I wanted another Rosslare and a Spigot and the two I got were too cheap to pass up. But they’re not nearly as comfortable in hand as these small billiards, Dublin’s feel a bit awkward for me, and it’s way more chamber than I need. My smallish bowl of 3 P’s last night kept me occupied for close to 50 minutes. Not totally in love with that particular tobacco, but I do love this pipe! I’m going to load up a full bowl of Irish Flake in it this afternoon and fly away on the sturdy wings of sweet, sweet nicotine.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Since a recent swarm of loose stems I've been dealing with, I wonder do...no CAN military stems EVER become loose? Or the silver on silver military mounts? Might be something to look into for me?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I have not had issues with the military mount pipes I have. All of them are sturdy and reliable.
Very nice pipe sir

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Didimauw I didn’t know you’d been having stem issues, all with military mount Peterson’s? I only own two but I’ve yet to have a stem pop out while smoking.
Or if you mean loose stems in general and army mounts might be the cure? If that’s the case, I think army mounts can definitely come loose. I press mine in pretty firm until I hear that plastic click a couple times. If you just lightly seat the stem I imagine it could come loose, especially when clenching. I don’t clench much at all, though. But, I would think the wood in the mortise would expand slightly as it heats up, and help better join the stem and stummel together? I’ve had zero issues, but I don’t think it’s necessarily foolproof in terms of coming loose.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have had few of Peterson and Stanwell Military mounts two of those were older estates and had slimmer stems,these were kinda unreliable having the fit which became more or less loose especially if they weren't smoked on the regular basis,

Status
Not open for further replies.