PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
peterson-sherlock-holmes-rathbone-p-2.jpg

I just acquired a Rathbone and I absolutely adore it. I'm thinking of getting another one from the series next month. There are a few I have to choose from, and they all look pretty good to me: Deerstalker, Watson, Strand, Hudson, and Hansom. Which one should I go for?
If you own a Sherlock Holmes pipe, or just familiar with them, what's the best in your opinion?

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
That sounds good as I've always wanted a meerschaum pipe, but in the countryI live in there are very few choices, sadly the ones I listed are pretty much all I can get my hands on...

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Indeed, I have read the article already, but I wish to hear more people's opinions on this. :)

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I have several SH pipes and I smoke the Hudson way more than the others. They are all great smokers but the Hudson feels right in my hand.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I'd get the Watson anyday.As ugly as it might be,i am just sure it'll smoke great.Derrstalker is nice too.You can buy meerschaum Holmes online,but it'll cost you.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
The Original and the Professor appeal to me most.

eddiegrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2009
I like the older SH lines (80s-90s). Years ago I purchased a Return of Sherlock Holmes Lestrade, a great shape in great wood. Recently I bought a new Rathbone, just like yours. The briar burns too hot, even with the careful sips I take when smoking. Different wood altogether. Fine looking pipe, but not the same smoking qualities as the older Lestrade. That's my experience and I certainly hope that your Rathbone works out for you as a smoker. That fine veteran actor certainly deserved the tribute of an SH named after him.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I've been eyeing the Mycroft zulu for months and would have pulled the trigger if it weren't for getting burned with a badly drilled silver spigot Pete.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I love the shape of the original, but I have several Peterson's calabash pipe already, and to me they all get too hot very easily, especially where the wood is the thinnest; I suspect the original is gonna be similar. I don't think Watson is that ugly, I quite like the full-bend bulldog look.

stanlaurel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 31, 2015
I really like the Mycroft and the LeStrade. They are my favorites although I like them all.
I also really like the Kinsale series which has all the same shapes as the Sherlocks. Something about the Kinsales are more aesthetically appealing to me than the regular Sherlock series. They are also less expensive.
I bought the Mycroft (XL22) as a rusticated Kinsale. I love it.
kinsale-rusticated-xl22-1.jpg

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I do not own a SH,but i have a Peterson Pipe of the Year 2013 with the silver band and C Petersons portrait on it ( i have it on sale on ebay rightnow,clean and no reserve by the way) and i too have experienced what few other guys say above.It does get hot quite easily.Anyway great build,very sturdy..i have to give them that!

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I'm a bit biased against Kinsale, I know they are of the same shapes as SH, but to me they just seem like second-rate SH. I personally like sterling silver band a lot more than whatever Kinsale is using.

Status
Not open for further replies.