PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Peterson Shannon finish seems to be one of its less expensive versions of various shapes of pipes. As pictured

at online retailers, it has a sort of neutral to plain look, smooth with grain, but rather downplayed, with dark grain

accents against a lighter medium brown stain. There's almost a camouflage motif to it. Since I have owned one of these

pipes for about four years, I am interested to see that it ages into a better look than it has when new, by my tastes.

The stain lightens slightly, and the accent in the grain darkens a bit, and the wear on the pipe provides a little

character and patina. Like many unfinished pipes, it actually improves with use and age. I'm passing this along in

case there is anyone who likes the Shannon line and price, but is reluctant because of the plain duck color. It gets

better, which is a good characteristic for a briar finish. My pipe happens to be a bent brandy B11.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Thank you for your mini review of the Peterson Shannon.
To me the Shannon line is very eye pleasing. It gets by quite well without the nickel band. I like the bold two tone stain of light over dark grain.
Shannon is not the most inexpensive line, that mark goes to the odd Belgique line which is like a mini-pipe.
I have oft looked at the Shannon offerings, but Peterson has so many lines that are only 20-30 dollars more that I just keep overlooking it; my loss so far. Maybe my next Peterson accusation will be a Shannon 106 or 107 straight Billiard.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
Thanks, mso, for the information. I have looked at the line, and was hesitant for the very reasons you suggest in your review. I'm also wary of fills on Peterson's less expensive models. But as I'm somewhat addicted to this marque, I think the Shannon is one I can now consider purchasing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
paulie', I would think the Shannon finish would make an excellent prince. I have several princes, but not a Shannon.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Hallelujah, finally I got my Peterson Shannon 407 Prince delivered(of course it went straight to our customs hand as all outside of Eu items more than $30 total value,causing me an additional import fee of $23)I picked this model originally at smokingpipes.com,and tell you what,these shannons at this this particular was/ist somewhat superior to Aran basic models what I have come across in England,perhaps they are sending better finished pipes to export,who knows.So the pipe had no fillings or any thirillings found in it and the overall finishing and bowl varnish coating was spot on being inside pre carboned-the steam fit as always was a bit thighter in comparition to Savinellis or Stanwell,which is a big plus.The drill is good and in line,in summ,this Peterson Sannon 407 at smokingpipes,com is a good value,sturdy classic pipe and I'm pretty pleased with this acquisition,could have been much worse,as we all are aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.