PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Are Shamrock truly a Peterson second? Or are they more of a sub brand, not necessarily having to do with lower quality as is commonly believed? The reason I ask is in browsing Petersons online, Ebay and the like, I've a number of times come across a Shamrock that was every bit as nice as some of Peterson's lower mid grade pipes, often with a smooth finish with pretty decent grain and no sign of fills. I've seen pipes stamped Peterson, that were not as nice as some of the Shamrocks I've seen.
So, anybody familiar with Shamrocks, would you consider yours as a Peterson second, a sub brand not necessarily of lower quality but priced lower under a different name, or perhaps even both depending on when the pipe may have been made?

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
According to Pipedia they are listed as Peterson seconds/sub brand so both, that doesn't answer the question though. I would say they are in the line of a Parker Jockey club, good enuf to carry the makers name but maby marketed at a lower price point.
I don't have any but I do have friend that do and they smoke em often and have never said anything negative about the quality

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
From what I've seen, it depends on the era. Although all earlier era Shamrocks I have seen do have some minor quality defect such as fills. Earliest Shamrocks will not say Peterson, but will have then correct shape number and pre-republic COM stamp. I own one of these and it also has an 'S' logo on the stem. Second era will say A Peterson Product, then with Republic era COM stamp. Later models are an actual line, such as Killarney, or Aran and should denote a type of finish more than anything. My Shamrock, a 105X billiard, is an excellent smoker, with a couple fills.
So to sum up, earliest models were seconds, mid-era you could call a sub-brand and then finally a denoted line in the catalog.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input :) I've seen a few here and there I wouldn't mind having but I always fail to pull the trigger because I'm not totally sure what I'd be getting. Your input helps out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In some instances, I have found the underling pipes as good or better than the top of the line, for smoke-ability and durability if not design and finish. I won't name names because it would sound like I'm dissing the main brand, but I can think of at least several instances.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Actually, 1 of my favorite Petes is a smooth, straight Shamrock tomato-about the only time I've seen that shape in a Peterson pipe- which I bought @ a B&M some 29 years ago. No flaws or fills.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I should add that my Shamrock says Peterson on it. It is a Shamrock natural finish so those were unstained pipes and therefore very different from the oldies I've seen on E-Bay. It has turned a nice dark brown over the 20 or so years I've smoked it but it was considered an entry level Peterson. It has nice thick walls. No metal work on it, but a fine looking pipe.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Here is what I know about my Shamrock Bulldog (150) (Rep. Of Ireland)
Marked "A PETERSON PRODUCT" Contrast stained and mixed grained make this simple Shamrock a Brindled Bulldog (MADE IN THE REP. OF IRELAND). Also, we must address the stamp "A Peterson Product". During the last few years of the Pre-Republic era and throughout the Republic era, Peterson began stamping their other lines, such as Shamrock's and Killarney's, with "A Peterson Product" over the COM stamp. So a pipe stamped thusly will have been made say from 1948 to the present with the COM stamp identifying it as a pre-Republic or a Republic pipe.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Interesting that so many were stamped A Peterson Product apparently when mine was simply stamped Peterson.

Status
Not open for further replies.