PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayniehoff

Lurker
Dec 12, 2017
Hey everybody,
I have had my eye on a Peterson Sherlock Holmes series for a while, specifically the "Hansom". Does anybody have this pipe or any of the series, and are they any good? I also wanted to know are putty fills allowed in this line. The pipe I was looking at has a p-lip, but are these system pipes, with the reservoir? The stem on the pipe I am looking at isn't military mount, so having a system might cause undue wear on the stem joint due to cleaning.
Thanks,

Jay

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Don't have the Hansom, though have its equivalent in the Kinsale line and like it quite a bit. Have only 1 SH pipe, a Deerstalker and also like that. My SH is rusticated and, yes, SH pipes are not guaranteed to be fill-free, though I haven't heard of fills popping up frequently in that line, but have heard of some occasions.

jayniehoff

Lurker
Dec 12, 2017
Ok, great thanks for the info everybody. Unkleyoda, do you happen to know if the POTY are fill free? Also, For people who have this pipe, does it pass a pipe cleaner?

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Might have decent luck passing a cleaner if it's fishtail. I usually have p-lips and they, as a rule are far trickier.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
'The Return of Sherlock Holmes' line comes with a p-lip mouth piece.
Not all of them.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=266353
002-029-35434.jpg

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
CE, that photo has me thinking the Kinsale XL26 has a slightly different bowl as the top of it seems to pinch in more acutely than this Hansom and be a slightly taller section. Couldn't find a good photo. https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/peterson-kinsale-rustic-pipes-pipes/1466906/

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Ok, great thanks for the info everybody. Unkleyoda, do you happen to know if the POTY are fill free?
The POTY series is a similar grade, med-high grade, could be flawless, or 1-2 small fills. I have 2 POTY 2014 models, one has a small fill, the other is flawless.
Not all of them.
I stand corrected. I was going by the write up I read about them.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
I bought two Peterson's. I returned them both. I won't buy another one either.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I have 70+ Peterson pipes. The only ones I’ve seen with issues were entry level Petes. I’ve heard a lot of stories. I have one that doesn’t smoke great, it’s an entry level. It smokes, just not great. I have several medium and high line Petes, some have a small fill, others don’t have any. All 6 of my Hinged Lids are flawless. I own one SH Lestrade, no fills.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I have the Watson from the series, it is a huge - I mean, really huuuge - pipe. My pipe is smooth and flawless, but I have heard that some even from this series has fills. I can say that it is one of my best pipes, in quality it is similar to Savinelli (just a little bit bigger than those). It gives a cool smoke (there is a lots of briar) and the P-lip adds a nice feature to it. I can recommend it, but maybe Savinelli offers a better price-value ratio. Nowadays Peterson has some quality-check problems. My Donegal rocky bulldog was whistling like a bird, so I had to crave the stem to stop it. Hopefully there are no amateurish problems like this with any of the Sherlock-series pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ref an earlier post, i have one P-lip, a Killarney Rhodesian 999, and it passes a pipe cleaner with no problem, so this varies.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
I have a Hansom (cab) Pete w/p-lip and I love this pipe and the shape. At first, this was the one I didn't want, but over time I grew to like the shape. In hand I love it. Large bowl too.

I only three dozen Petes, and no problems with any of them.

As far as pipe cleaners go thru a p-lip: with a straight tipped pipe cleaner, push it to the p-lip, then use a slight twisting motion and it will come out the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.