PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarguys

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2013
TN
So Peterson and Savinelli seem like the top dogs when it comes factory pipes. Not saying other brands are inadequate, but they do not have the same pull as these two power houses.
So who gets the crown? Peterson or Savinelli?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Different strokes ...
59906392.jpg

:rofl:

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Savs are probably better made and more consistent-- but I like Pete styling SO much better.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I've only been smoking for a few months so take my opinion for what it's worth...not much. :)
The first pipe I bought was a Peterson Aran with a p-lip. I like the way it smokes, definitely a bit different than my other pipes. It does tend to gurgle more than my other pipes. I want to pick up a Peterson with their standard system. That will be one of my next purchases.
I received my first Savinelli last night and have only smoked it once:
QQBMgUJ.jpg

I was very impressed by the easy draw on this pipe (not sure if that is because I wasn't using a filter). It's a solid pipe that feels good in the hand and in the mouth. I'm not sure I'd call it a better smoke than my Peterson...just different.
I hope that makes my choice clear. 8)

Jan 8, 2013
I've only one Savinelli, an unfinished, with less than perfect drilling, a bent dublin/oom paul. The drilling isn't too terribly off center, and it still smokes descent when paired with the right tobacco. It is not stamped Savinelli, but it is stamped with the shield and S. My guess is these were barely spared rejection and sold dirt cheap basically to pay for the price of materials. This pipe is small and very light and hangs from the jaw easily, and is one of the few pipes I'll clench. It's not one of my favorite pipes, however I don't hate it either. It has a spot in my rotation and gets smoked from time to time. But it is my only Sav and an inexpensive one so I personally cannot give a solid opinion on whether Savs or Petes are best.
I have three Petersons, all XL90s, all Saint Patrick's Day pipes from the last three years. So these are all pretty inexpensive pipes as pipes go as well. They are all, however, very nice looking pipes. I don't clench them often, as they're pretty substantial (although I have bigger pipes) but I love the way the XL90 shape fits in the hand. Last years St. Patty is drilled a bit off and will not pass a pipe cleaner. But it seems to smoke pretty good regardless. I don't smoke it as often as some of my other pipes, but I still like it. The 2013 is an amazing pipe. I do have to give a slight twist to get that pipe cleaner through to the bowl, but it's drilled center and is my best smoker. In fact it smoked wonderfully from the beginning when I was still a very green pipe smoker with much to learn. My latest, the 2015 St. Patty (the most beautiful of the St Patty pipes yet in my opinion smoked like a dream at very first light, may be a contender for best smoker if it hasn't beat out the 2013 yet... I might just not want to take away that trophy from my first one, and the pipe cleaner passes from bit to bowl like a hot knife through butter. That is not an exaggeration. I actually posted my first ever review at a retailer on this pipe at Pipesandcigars.com which they posted here... http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/90168/peterson-st-patricks-day-2015/
To say I'm pleased with the pipe is an understatement.
But you say... "That's only three Petes! And one is less than perfect!" I know. And I agree. I can't rightfully compare the two companies. But mine all smoke descent to great and look great too. And the Sav is a reject, but is a descent smoker in its own right as well. I will however definitely be ordering another Peterson soon. I'm trying to get my hands on a Walnut Spigot XL90. This will be the last of that shape I get until I've had a chance to try a few other shapes... unless next years St. Patty's Day comes around first. The XL90 will always be my tradition for that. I have also seen quite a few Savs I would like to order. But their time will come. I haven't the funds to buy pipes as often as others and the pipe must really catch my eye. When I have the funds, I really have to pick and choose, and try to make up my mind between one or another. Sometimes, in fact most of the time, a great pipe I'd love to buy never gets purchased.
I can only speak on my experiences so far, and I think I've done that. A bit long winded, I'm sure. So this is where I leave the comparisons to more of you. Try to make up my mind for me whether my next pipe after the spigot will be another Pete or a Sav. :D

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I have 4 Peterson's pipes, 3 are pre-republic, and the other is a Kapruf which makes it from the late 80's or earlier, so I can't say much about current production pipes. Mine all smoke fine, and all have the p-lip which I'm not too fond of but they all smoke really nice, and I don't have any problems with them or the way they were made.
I have 9 Savinelli pipes that I've purchased over the years starting in 1982, and I like them all. The most recently made one is a new Tortuga I bought about a year ago. They are some of my favorite pipes and all smoke great. I've only sold one, a Hercules pot that was just too heavy for my liking. I have never had a problem with any of them with the way they smoke or the way they're made. For me I prefer the Savinelli pipes, but bear in mind that I base this mostly on my mild dislike for the p-lip more than anything else. I might have to try one of the newer Petersons with a fishtail bit one of these days.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd vote for both because I've never had any problems with Peterson, but I've never heard of problems with Savenelli. I doubt they're all perfect, but problems are rare.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
4 Savs and 4 Petersons. The Savs are easier to break in, but I do love the Peterson 999 shape. Guess it's a tie.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
Sales wise in the world market (and US), Savinelli dominates. I don't know if that's because they produce more than Peterson and therefore there are more to sell, but it's not even close.
My personal opinion is also for Savinelli. Although I have come to really like the p-lip Peterson.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I smoke four p-lip Petes and eight or so Savs, mostly Billiards. My favorite factory pipes are Nordings :wink:

waxmojo

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2013
Savinelli because I have owned 3 Petes and all 3 have had issues. Smoking issues, not appearance.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I have owned 3 Petes (2 spigots and a system 312) and 2 Savs (a Fuoco 128 and a Trevi 606). As far as smoking and build, I would rate all 5 close with the Savs perhaps a bit easier to break in and a bit more open (sans filter and adaptor) on the draw.
The only issue I had with any of them was the finish on the Savs. The gloss finish on both turned matte within a couple of months. Not a big issue, but an issue nonetheless.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Peterson is King! I have a few Sav's, put I like the thicker shank and tip on Petersons. Purely a personal preference.

Mar 1, 2014
Obviously Vauen is the best since the other two have such a limited selection 9mm filter pipes.

Right now Nording is commanding my wallet though, big pipes for little money.
Of course we mustn't forget Missouri Meerschaum, while a little more restrictive in bowl shapes they would undoubtedly win any volume sales contest, and without compromising on functionality either.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Savinelli, hands down. IMO Peterson has gone in the wrong direction since the 90's or so...with their poor drilling (even in the high-end pipes),the dip-stained bowl chambers and those hideous lacquered "spray" finishes. Their overall QC is horrid. And if you ever have to send a pipe back for repairs be ready to wait 3 months to a year.
You asked, I told.

Status
Not open for further replies.