PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The Tinder Box up near Tuttle Mall is having their annual St. Patrick's Day Sale. It started on the 8th and will run thru the 17th.
I stopped up on Saturday to check out the selection. They had about hundred Peterson's, from Sherlock Holmes down to the Donegal Rocky series. I checked out a lot of them and the construction was really good. Bowls were drilled properly, stems fit good, airways were unobstructed, etc. I didn't see one pipe that should have stayed at the factory due to a QC error.
The sale is 20% off all pipes/sets plus a raffle ticket for each pipe purchased. So the Mark Twain two pipe set gets two tickets. You also get the choice of a tin of Peterson tobacco or their green round cigar ashtray that comes with a pipe cork. I guess the raffle will be held sometime this week and there are pipes and tobaccos up for grabs.
I ended up with a shape 53 Aran (lovat). This one had some of the bowl coating obstructing the airway into the bowl, but nothing the pick on a pipe tool couldn't fix. Its got nice grain and is very light.
Also ended up with an 02 system pipe. I cannot remember the last time I have seen one of these in person but was blown away by the size; I can fit my entire thumb in the bowl. Anyway, its heavier than I prefer at 70g but the way it hangs when clenching, it does not feel that heavy.
Both are smoking very well from the first bowl, even with the precarb in the Aran. For about what SPC would have charged for just the two pipes, I also ended up with a tin of 3P's and the green ashtray for free. The ashtray has a retail price of about $30 so that and the 3Ps was about $40 in savings on top of the pipe discount. That is a lot of savings from a brick and mortar store.
Anyway, if anyone finds them self in the area or wishes to get a nice Peterson in person, definitely check out the Tinder Box. Mike knows his business and is always a pleasure to speak with.
Not affiliated, just a happy camper.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I stop there every time I visit my mother. The owner is a legendary pipe smoker. He is credited for their 1928 blend which is one of a few aromatics I actually enjoy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have never seen a sale at my local Tinder Box, much less 20% off on pipes. The franchises must have

a lot of control over their pricing from store to store, and that surprises me. The best I've done on pipe

discounts was the fall smokingpipes.com 10% discount. It's not much off, but it moved me to buy a pipe

I'd wanted. I do a lot of visiting of my local pipe shops and five or six web sites, and I don't see sales often.

Hope you did well. Sounds like a lucky break to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
rothnh, you have a lucky nature. I'll keep paying attention and maybe something like these deals will come my way.

Status
Not open for further replies.