PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Ok... so this is an aromatic I fell in love with at first light. The problem is I was only able to acquire a few tins of the stuff. One of which I gave away. And it was limited edition. Very limited edition. I now have two unopened tins which are like gold to me and I don't want to open because once they're opened they get smoked and they're gone :(
I've been scouring the internet looking for more, and I was able to find a tin on Ebay for an impressive price... http://www.ebay.com/itm/221769580875?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT After shipping, this would cost me about 70 dollars. This stuff is good.... but it's not 70 dollars good.
I heard mentioned somewhere that this was blend was identical to another blend of a different name by another brand which blends tobacco for Peterson. I cannot recall what that brand or blend name was. Is this true? And if so, what is it? I and a coworker would love to know.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I found this on another thread on the forums and pasted it here see below
A tobacconist brought a box of W.Ø.LARSEN "Belle Epoque" to share, given the St. Patrick's day 2015 edition has already sold out. I enjoyed the fruity smoke with good VA base.

Whether it's really totally the same thing could always leave to the debating pipe-smokers while I already reached for a second or a third bowl. :wink:

POSTED 1 MONTH AGO #

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I saw that listing and was tempted. It was a lovely blend after all.
Now, if I were to still be buying tobacco locally, then this would have presented a good deal, its cheaper than our prices.
But thanks for the heads up, I'll have to check out the Larsens.

Jan 8, 2013
Ok. I found this.... Thanks for mentioning the W.O Larsen blend, Ember. Yet another problem arises. I need a translator https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5xFPUH1enM

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've heard of the Larsen blend that's basically a match for the St. Patrick's Day blend or vice versa. Not sure which came first the chicken or the egg. Anywho, I've yet to see that Larsen blend available in the US. Haven't seen it on any of the big four sponsor sites.

Jan 8, 2013
I've been looking all over the place for it tonight as well lordofthepiperings. I did find it on Tobaccoreviews.com , and the description matches that on the Peterson tins nearly word for word.
"A fruity blend of virginia, burley, oriental and spice tocabbos are as a basic blend lightly pressed and cross cut. Subsequently black cavendish and bright virginia are added. The blend is flavoured with rum, mango maracuja and vanilla from Madagascar."
Not even the Danish Pipe Shop had it. I figured if any of the sponsors did, it would be them. I'm wondering if any of the sponsors would be able to order a few tins for me.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I find 4noggins Lord Methley is pretty close in tin note and flavour but a little less fruity.

I haven't smoked it yet but I jarred up some Kohlhase & Kopp Limited Edition 2015 and the tin note was also very similar. I'll try a bowl tomorrow and report on the flavour. Not sure of its availability as it too is a limited edition. :puffy:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I thought it was the same flavor and tin note of the Peterson Special Reserve from 2012, the one in the black and white checkered tin. That probably will not help you find it again, but I suspect this blend will turn up again in Peterson's holiday or special edition lineups.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
You have peaked my interest in this blend so I've made a few calls around my local tobacco shops and no one has it on their shelves here either. Lol

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Hey Anthony, have you seen this? Not sure if it will break the bank after shipping but at least they have it in stock:
http://www.pipedivan.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1964

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I'm almost done a bowl of the Kohlhase & Kopp Limited Edition 2015. The tin note of this blend is identical to Peterson's St Paddy 2015 and the flavour is very similar as well. A pretty close match I would say. Again it's a limited edition as well so not sure how availability will be?
I checked the Lord Methley tin note again and it is similar to the Peterson but much more subtle fruity notes. I don't believe it is as close a match as the K&K. I will smoke a bowl next for comparison. :puffy:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Just finished a bowl of the Lord Methley's. It's not as close a match when smoked as is the tin note. The flavour also seems to fade near the 2/3 mark.
Anthony, I would be glad to send you a sample of the K&K to try if you'd like. PM me your address if you are interested. :puffy:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I Tweeted SmokingPipes about it yesterday. Haven't heard back from them yet. They're usually pretty good about responding in a few days on Twitter. When I get a response I'll be sure to pass it along.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
That is a bit wierd, W. O. Larsen's Belle Epoque seems to be available in most of the pipe shops and many online shops in Germany.

Many pipe smokers here believe the 2015 St. Pat. Day blend is a re-branding of this stuff.

:puffpipe:

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
There are at least 3-4 other YouTube videos by German pipe smokers comparing the St. Pat Day 2015 blend with W. O. Larsen Belle Époque. All other videos I know of argued that the two are the same tobacco. This one said 2 out of 3 pipe smokers cannot tell the any difference while looking, the tin note and the smoking experience of the two are very very similar, but he focused on a one-word difference in the tobacco description ('rum', besides Mango, Majacuja (? How to spell...), and Vanilla) and tried to make a big story out of it. He pointed out the cubes can be of slightly different size and with a tiny bit more black cavendish in one, and the Belle Époque is a tiny bit more wet.

Frankly, there are several other videos looking at the cube cut and the color in details, I really cannot tell the difference.
I tried only the Belle Époque so I can't compare the two, but I like Belle Époque like some other Larsen blends, and the tin note was very fruity, couldn't imagine or detect the rum content if there was any.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That is a bit wierd, W. O. Larsen's Belle Epoque seems to be available in most of the pipe shops and many online shops in Germany.
W.O. Larsen isn't really a heavy hitter here in the States. Most American online retailers only carry 1864 Perfect Mixture, Signature, Old Fashioned, and sometimes the Limited Edition year blends.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I have a tin of Belle Époque unopened I would happily swap for anyone who wants it. Send me a PM.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Anthony, I agree & want to find something like it also because I like to throw it into something left over or I don't like "to kick it up a notch!" Really adds flavor to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.