Peterson Royal Irish shape 106 (w/long and short stems)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I probably posted this pipe on the Repair and Maintenance board several years ago, but it's long gone, and either this little collection survey photo project is complete or it isn't, right? (thank you, OCD) :lol:
The long version is a straight-up Royal Irish 106. Neither conventional design nor silver spigot, the Royal Irish line is sort of a hybrid. Peterson's "Silver Lover's Lite" line, pretty much.
For whatever reason, one day I started looking at this 106's long shank, and being a Lovat lover, wondered if it was long enough to pull off an interchangeable short saddle stem.
The silver cap on the end of the shank wasn't flat all the way across, which made things slightly trickier, but no big deal. Just undercut the stem's shoulder to match the slight dome of the silver cap.
So I eyeballed and eyeballed, one day deciding the resulting pipe would be too short, and the next day deciding it would be long enough... but only just.
I finally went for it (obviously), and the funny bit is I STILL can't decide if the Lovat version is too short, or just barely squeaks by. :lol:
Either way, I like it. It's always surprising how much reducing a pipe's length reduces perceived weight when clenching. Between that and the saddle stem being slightly wider and flatter as well, the MBALBMNQ (might-be-a-Lovat-but-maybe-not-quite) is ridiculously comfortable. And that's enough for me. 8)
52.5 grams, 6.0" long
49.1 grams, 5.1" long
P1020359.jpg

P1020362.jpg

P1020368.jpg

P1020365.jpg

P1020381.jpg

P1020374.jpg

P1020369.jpg

P1020370.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: AroEnglish

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Looks great as a Lovat. The length before the saddle reminds me of Lidner’s version.

Status
Not open for further replies.